Shop math

lnr729

Active User
Registered
We all find ourselves having to do shop math and some times digging around for formulas for the math. My other hobby is computer programming that I tend to do in winter when my shop gets to cold to work in. Over a few years I have been writing a program for the math and formulas I have needed. This program is available for free here for Windows and Linux. My program does the following and maintains the results between sessions.

1) Chord, arc and circle
2) Right angle triangles
3) Obtuse and acute triangles
4) Regular polygons (with of flat, across flats, across corners)
5) Dovetail calculations (for making dovetails and measuring [over balls\rollers] from scratch)
6) Reverse engineer a dovetail (for making the missing half of a dovetail)
7) Bolt circle or PDC (Highly configurable to match your machine and even when the x and y origins [datum points] are not at the center of the PDC)
8) V thread measurements over wires
9) Tap drill calculations for a, ideal for non standard thread pitch
10) Dividing head, handling 36-1, 40-1, 60-1, 72-1 and 90-1 ratios and the standard hole plate. Provision is made to add or remove hole plate circles to match what you have. Where a resolution is not possible a suggestion is made (that may or may not be possible for you)
11) Spur gear calculations for making the gears (DP, Metric Module and circular pitch)
12) Spur gear measuring backlash over balls\rollers
13) Worm gearing for when you need to make a hob (DP, Metric Module and circular pitch)
14) Making bevel gears with standard gear cutters (will not mesh with regular bevel gears that require special cutters but perfect for home projects when you make both gears) There is also a bit of a how to because it is not exactly intuitive. (DP and Metric Module)
15) A conversion calculator for temperature, metric\inch (including fractional sizes), and angles to\from radians and angles to\from decimal to degrees, minutes and seconds.

Inch and metric sizes are handled and convert back and forward to ease working in metric on an inch machine or the opposite.

There is a full translation into Dutch and a partial translation into Spanish. If any one would care to translate into other languages or complete the Spanish translation please contact me.

Last edited:
Richard, I have had your software installed for some time already, but I must admit that I do not remember how I found it in the first place. I would like to commend you on a fine job. Thank you!

You might want to download a new copy. I had problems with a sciatic nerve and killed time doing some updates.

Funny you should mention that, I just updated about a week ago. Did you perform more updates since then?

Funny you should mention that, I just updated about a week ago. Did you perform more updates since then?

No. I add stuff as I go along that I think will be useful. I am open to ideas but I am absolutely not interested in speeds and feeds because they are almost always wrong where experience and common sense is mostly right.

I am open to ideas but I am absolutely not interested in speeds and feeds because they are almost always wrong where experience and common sense is mostly right.

I agree with you 100% Richard. Not to mention that speeds and feeds are available in so many places.

It looks really useful,but i cannot find any way to download it.May be i missed something.
Can you, please,advice on downloading?
Thanks in advance.
Ariscats

Back