[How do I?] Shop Made Tap

Dracen knights

Registered
Registered
Ok so while I'm not to new in the shop I have tried my hand at making taps a few times and so far only had luck once or twice. It toke me so many tries to make a 1/2 28 tap I got the one I ordered in and used it. Now that I'm getting my full cnc setup figured out I was thinking that it would be cheaper and easier to make a few specialty taps rather than fork over the $60-80 for a tap that I might used once or twice. Now the main item I will be tapping is aluminum so no need for carbide a 01 tool steel should work. anyway looking for tips or a walk through on what you guys have done and what simply works. CNC and manual advice would be great as I can do either.

so why don't we start with basic tap making and then maybe bottom taps starter taps and so on... Maybe we can go into Die making after this.. or another thread.

He cut it like making a screw.. (I assume)
For left hand, he would use left to right travel when cutting the threads.
He describes at the beginning how he cut the threads. - Light cuts, etc.

I was referring to the amount of tapper at the end or angle use as a lead in for the tap to go straight.

ahh,
He could have first turned the OD straight, then adjusted his compound say 4 degrees and cut the taper advancing the compound. Then adjusted the compound 14 degrees 30 for the threads.. Just guessin
If you look at the first photo, you can see that the compound might be set to cut the taper

Last edited:
I have been wanting to make an 11/16-10 left hand acme tap myself. I want to make a new nut for a clausing 8520 cross feed

Good write up. Always another way to do things. I do the relief cut milling so the angle are right coming out of the mill. i made a 1 3/16 X 10 tap like this:

tap relief cuts.jpg

the back taper in a hand tap is .0005-.001 per inch, i used to make taps, gages, and j&l chasers for the besly co.

Back