Shop made collet systems

Howder1951

Registered
Registered
I am researching home made collet systems, does anyone have plans advice or stories relating to this?
I have started with Harold Halls' shop series plans and just wondering what's "out there".
Thanks
Howie

Not sure how useful this Info is but here it is.

Quorn collets 01.jpg Quorn collets 02.jpg Quorn collets 03.jpg Quorn collets 04.jpg

Attachments

• Cup Collets For a Precision Lathe.pdf
    166.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Thanks for the info, this is exactly the type of mail that I was hoping to receive
H

I made a collet system based on Erikson DA for a little homemade lathe project, and while it was a great learning experience, I don't think I'd do it again. I made the Tinker cutter grinder, and changed the design to accept R8 collets, so I'd advise doing something like that rather than making both the spindle and the collets - unless you're crazy like me.

I have also made a number of other collets, for my Bosch routers because they don't make 3/16" ones, for Deckel pantograph because the only source wants $200 each, and for my little Rambold turret lathe, because I couldn't find any except the metric ones it came with.

I ended up doing quite a production for the Rambold, including a couple of hex collets:

ramboldcollet19.jpg

Here's the writeup on the Rambold collet project:

http://www.frets.com/HomeShopTech/Projects/RamboldCollet/ramboldcollet.html

Had another look and here's a couple more with a little more info. :))

Attachments

• Hints on Making Collets.pdf
    195.8 KB · Views: 40
  • Machining Small Collets.pdf
    30.6 KB · Views: 33
Hi Howie, Some photos of collets shop made. The first four are for a mill/drill spindle for lathe, made from plans in Model Engineer some time ago. The last two are of a 10mm made to hold Green engraver cutters for sharpening. Not really a collet in the true sense, I guess as just has a #1 B&S taper & is not split. Regards, Earl

001_01.JPG 002_01.JPG 003_01.JPG 004_01.JPG 005_01.JPG 006_01.JPG

Here is the easiest way I've been able to find.

photo-19.jpg

photo-20.jpg

Just get an adapter with parallel on the outside and the collet size of your choice on the inside. Those are MT2 collets because I had a set of them already. Need to use a carbide bit to bore a hole in the end then get a bolt and washer that fits, done.

Back