Shop Lighting

how about incandescent .... they will give off some heat to help keep you warmer.

They are now GONE! As of 1 January it is illegal for stores to reorder incandescent lamps so when the present stock is gone, that's it - we will have to buy them from China!

I guess the lamp makers weren't making enough money on the lowly light bulb (which contained NO hazardous material whatsoever and don't burst into flames!). I have 9 100W incandescent lamps over the work area in my shop and, frankly, I APPRECIATE the heat when it is -40 outside! I also have 2 4-foot fluorescent fixtures that are almost 40 years old and still work fine - think I have changed a total of 2 tubes in that time. They are poky to start in the cold but they get there eventually.

When my incandescent bulbs start to die and I can't get any more I guess I will look at halogen - its about the only thing I know of that will start in the deep cold, doesn't cost two arms and a leg, and wont set the place on fire when it fails. (I wont even allow compact fluorescent lamps in my house any more, not after one filled the bathroom with putrid smoke!)

Not just banned from mfg here, Dianne. Banned from sale. If you have a source on 100w incandescent bulbs, and wish to continue to use them, you should buy all you can. Soon, only specialty incan bulbs will be sold, such as appliance lamps. At some point, I suspect those also are scheduled for ban.

I believe Australia is ahead of the US schedule on this.

I've slowly been building LED lights for my "workshop" (one end of a single bay garage), mostly because the output from the single 20W CFL in there in winter is almost non-existent. They're pretty easy to put together and don't cost much. I would struggle to match the output of the large fluorescent fixtures you're talking about, but because I can put my light bars where they're needed and all of the light is focused downwards (the workshop is one place LEDs have an advantage over other types of lighting), they're very efficient. No warm up time required, in fact they're more efficient the colder it gets, and mine have worked fine from -13C or so last night (picking up bits of metal was not fun) to 30C or above for hours on end.

You can get direct replacement LED "tubes", LEDsupply started stocking them I believe, and Elara strips are another option. I'd avoid the LED string lighting, the colour rendition is pretty terrible and failure rates are very high on the cheap stuff.

So for those of you in the states I say again why not incandescent? Yes I no they can right now not be reordered by stores nor can they be made here. But ask yourself why, I think we need to demand that they are reinstated. Really mercury filled bulbs are better for us.

I have had fantastic luck with units I bought from Walmart of all places. About $10 each. Here's a brief description from their page.

Lights of America 4' Solid State Shop Light, White
4' fixture with electronic ballast
Safe, steady and consistent operation
Runs with T8 lamps

I've had them almost 11 years and only had to replace one because the electronic ballast went south. Light output with the T8 bulbs are very good. My shop is between 58 and 75 degrees year round, and the lights are switched on and off. The unheated area of the building also uses the lights and down to zero degrees they operate. I'm running 49 of them total.

Save your sales slip when you buy the lights. Take them home and test them with bulbs. About one out of 10 don't work right from the factory. I had one that the components to the electronic ballast were just put inside the ballast shell and never soldered. I soldered them in place and the light worked fine.

A plus is they have nice long cords on them.

the above post is good to know, as thats what i have over my workbench, and plan to add more to my basement "shop". i splurged for the stainless one though,kinda dumb cause once in place you cant see how pretty it is.

I have one fluorescent fixture left, it uses T-8 bulbs, and is a cold weather model. It is out in my garage. Good place for it too.

I only have 5 CFLs left in my house. I used to have 6, but one of them nearly started the house on fire when it decided to go south. No more CFLs.

Just bought 8 60W equivalent soft white LEDs for $8.00 each, and a couple of daylight ones as well. Wife likes them, I like them, they consume 9.5 watts each and don't require hazmat disposal, plus they have a 10 year warranty. Estimated yearly energy cost per bulb at 3 hours per day is $1.14 (at $0.11 per kWh). If I install eight bulb fixtures in my shop (12' x 14') it should be pretty well lit. The average of 3 hours per day in the shop sounds about right for me, maybe even a bit high. So, total cost to light my shop 3 hours per day for 10 years, plus the cost of the bulbs comes to a grand total of $72.96 Add in $25 for the cost of electrical boxes, wire, and porcelain light fixtures and I'm still below $100 for a ten year period.

I'll bet you guys can't guess what I am going to put in my shop??

Where are you finding the LEDs for $8.00?
Thanks

Don't buy T8 ballast at the cut rate lumber yards. Electrical suppliers charge less.
The cut rate ballast create a great deal of electrical noise. Will block out the signal on all X10 or home automation device you have .

I changed all of mine to electronic ballast. I don't have that problem anymore.

Home Depot had the soft white and warm white LEDs on sale for $7.97 each. Daylight LEDs however were $13 each. All were Cree brand. Don't know if they are still on sale or not. I assume that the regular price must be $13. If they last as long as the manufacturer claims, even $13 isn't a bad price.

I have installed the daylight bulbs in just a couple of places, such as the garage. They put out a bluish white light, reminiscent of fluorescent lamps. The soft white LEDs have met with everyone's approval at my house. They come on instantly and put out a soft light like incandescent bulbs, but are slightly brighter than the CFLs they replaced.

Back