Shop Fox M1099 (Grizzly G0602 clone) Threading

Noahfreak

Registered
Registered
So I got this M1099 lathe second hand for a great deal a couple years ago and for the most part I like it. It's not the slickest machine around to use but I can do basically everything I want to do with a lathe of this size. It's a version of the Grizzly G0602 and a couple of other Grizzly lathes in this size that all have slight variations. I was pleased to find that this lathe actually has an 11" swing over the ways, not 9 or 10" like they say in some of their different advertisements and manuals.

I ran into a problem recently though. I made a fly cutter plate in the mill and made the arbor in the lathe. Because you can't make threads on a mill, I tapped the hole 3/4-16 using a standard tap out of a set because I was using a 1" piece of stock to make the arbor, and I had the right tap as well. On the lathe I single-point threaded the arbor to screw into that hole. Well, I made the thread and checked it on my part, and it wouldn't fit. I went back and checked the chart and the change gears 3 times to make sure I had everything correct. I tried a 3/4-16 bolt in my part, and it fit. I tried a 3/4-16 nut on the arbor, and it would not fit. I re-measured the dimensions, and I found that the threads were even slightly undersized because I overshot my threads (I'm still learning). Still didn't fit. I pull out a thread gauge and lo and behold, it will not fit the threads on the arbor.

I thought about this a bit and grabbed up a metric thread gauge and it was dead on a 1.50 metric thread pitch. I go back over to the threading charts and compare the 1.50 and 16tpi thread change gears and dial settings. Turns out they're identical. When I bought this lathe I thought I was getting a metric/inch lathe, but what I got instead was a metric lathe with a second threading chart that gives close approximations to the tpi threads using the metric threading gears. What's interesting is that I can't find any mention about this problem anywhere on the internet about these little Grizzly and Shop Fox lathes, and I did search quite a bit.

That said, I have a long shot question for others who own these. Is there a way to actually cut proper inch threads on this machine, like a custom set of change gears or something that I can buy from someone? Also, before you answer, I did already check and even though the Grizzly lathes have different tooth counts on the change gears, they all have the same threading charts with the inch threads being substituted metric threads. I really do think it's a great little lathe otherwise, but I need the ability to do inch threads. On this particular job, if I had known ahead of time, I would've just tapped the plate 19-1.5 and made the arbor to the metric spec. I even had the tap on hand, but a lot of the stuff I'm working with is American-made old tractors, cars, and other machinery that use inch standard fasteners, and I've even toyed with British cars here and there with their Whitworth fasteners. I don't thread very often obviously, and that's why I was okay with the cumbersome threading gear change setup, but this is disappointing right here because I can't use it for those custom-made fasteners that are unobtainium (or insanely expensive). Anyway, thanks in advance if anyone has any info. I may be looking for a new lathe too if anyone's got suggestions. I'm thinking of going bigger/heavier too if I do.

To change over to cut "Inch" threads, in addition to setting the QCGB to the setting on the Treading Table, you typically need to also take the metric conversion out by not passing gear train though the 120/127 gear.

If you look closely at page 46 of the Grizzly manual (Figure 65, Inch Threads,) you'll see power travels across the 127 tooth gear.

If you look at page 47 (Figure 66, Metric Treading) you'll see (the arrows block it a bit) power enters the 127 tooth gear (which is mated to the 120 tooth gear) and power exits out of the 120th gear. This 127:120 is the conversion ratio from Inch to Metric.

Hope this helps.

To change over to cut "Inch" threads, in addition to setting the QCGB to the setting on the Treading Table, you typically need to also take the metric conversion out by not passing gear train though the 120/127 gear.

If you look closely at page 46 of the Grizzly manual (Figure 65, Inch Threads,) you'll see power travels across the 127 tooth gear.

If you look at page 47 (Figure 66, Metric Treading) you'll see (the arrows block it a bit) power enters the 127 tooth gear (which is mated to the 120 tooth gear) and power exits out of the 120th gear. This 127:120 is the conversion ratio from Inch to Metric.

Hope this helps.
It does! Thanks so much for this. I'll have to go out tomorrow and try this. I must have missed this detail when I set up the threading gears. Now I feel a bit foolish.

Turns out they are not exactly identical:
16 tpi is .0625
1.5mm is .059

So just to confirm what DAT510 said above, I looked in the Shop Fox manual and did see the detail he spoke of. The 120 tooth gear literally does nothing here other than act as a spacer and any old gear could be put there for inch threading. You can see in the attached image where I put the red arrow that the "b" 40 tooth change gear is driven by the 127 tooth gear on the inside of the stack up instead of the 120 tooth one on the outside. That spacer is on the inside and the "b" gear is on the outside being driven by the 120 tooth gear for metric threading operations only. Turns out that this final driven gear is also in the same configuration for power feed, so if you don't change it around when you pop in the threading gears as otherwise shown in the diagram, you'll be set up for metric threading by default. Posting here mostly for posterity in case someone else has this issue. It'll be an easy reference. Can't believe I missed it after so many checks, but I'm glad to know I can properly set this lathe up for inch threads now.
ChangGears.jpg

So I got this M1099 lathe second hand for a great deal a couple years ago and for the most part I like it. It's not the slickest machine around to use but I can do basically everything I want to do with a lathe of this size. It's a version of the Grizzly G0602 and a couple of other Grizzly lathes in this size that all have slight variations. I was pleased to find that this lathe actually has an 11" swing over the ways, not 9 or 10" like they say in some of their different advertisements and manuals.
https://www.grizzly.com/products/shop-fox-10-x-26-bench-metal-lathe/m1099 Grizzly owns Shop Fox, it is suppose to be a bit better than the standard. I bought a Shop Fox wood lathe from Grizzly, it is actually Taiwanese, this particular lathe you have is Chinese and Grizzly carries it so they likely have parts for it.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/shop-fox-10-x-26-bench-metal-lathe/m1099 Grizzly owns Shop Fox, it is suppose to be a bit better than the standard. I bought a Shop Fox wood lathe from Grizzly, it is actually Taiwanese, this particular lathe you have is Chinese and Grizzly carries it so they likely have parts for it.
Yes. I do believe that the two brands are both owned by the same company, and that the Grizzly machines are of slightly better quality than the Shop Fox. There does seem to be quite a bit shared in the two designs though. For example, this has since changed, but the lathe I have used standard ball bearings (the newer ones are tapered roller) for the spindle and the Grizzly lathes of the same size had tapered roller bearings, and I believe that the fit and finish on the Grizzly machines is quite a bit better too. That said, you look at the drawings for the parts breakdown on both, and you'll see the same drawing for the bed and other parts. For some models it may be close to identical machines other than the supplier that manufactured them.

Back