Shop Floor Drains

I don't exactly like washing my hands in 33° water.
Floor drains were never a consideration. No need for them.

Bah. I looked at the beginning of the thread and saw floor drains so that is my mistake.

Yeah, washing hands in cold water sucks. As Dhal pointed out, temp rise is an issue. I don't think a 120 volt unit will cut it up here.

Got my water line to the shop as well as the drain to the septic.
Inspector came out to look at the building and noticed the lines. I had to apply for a plumbing permit and he's making me dig up the entire drain line, over 100'.
That'll be fun.lol

Inspector came out to look at the building and noticed the lines. I had to apply for a plumbing permit and he's making me dig up the entire drain line, over 100'.
That'll be fun.lol

Holy crap. That's BS.

That'll be fun.lol

How dare you dig a hole and put pipe in it without paying the County Clerk for the privilege!

That'll be fun.lol

Yep, if you want to invite extra scrutiny just do something that requires permits without going through the process. Your best bet now will be to play ignorant and start asking them about every little thing you want to do. Much better to get "we don't need anything from you" then "you need to go back to square one and repeat the entire process with a microscope up your you know what".

At least you have the privilege of doing your excavating before the ground freezes, hopefully you won't run up against frost laws with the rest of your project....

John

We have nice weather until Monday, concrete day although I feel that will get pushed back some

I had a friend that wanted floor drains in his shop. The inspectors said he could but the containment, regular maintenance and disposal was huge. If there was any oil on the floor it was a drip from a truck or tractor and generally would be picked up by cat litter. He instead had the concrete guy add a french drain at the opening of all the roll up doors and then slightly slope the floor towards these drains. That way any rain or when he washed down his floor would run towards one of those drains. The inspector asked what they were for and he indicated it was to keep rain from coming into the shop.

The drains were boxed cement with a grate over them to drive across. A lot like the ones you see on home garages where the driveway slopes towards the garage door. They then fed into PVC and out into the yard under ground.

Ask the mother flippin' inspector if it is sufficient to expose both ends of your water line so he can see the connections. Digging up the whole 100' run is just cruel. Unless you really gave him a reason to jab his finger in your eye, that should be sufficient.

The water line is fine. I don't think there are any rules about that. Just the drain to the septic tank. I haven't given him any reason to treat me differently. I get the impression it's just the way he is.
I dropped off my permit application. Minimum one week before I get it then I'll call him to come out. Tomorrow my guy is coming out with a backhoe to dig it up.
Does anyone have any experience about running an underground gas line up through the slab? I emailed him several questions about that. His only response was pressurize to 25psi. I wrote back and said for how long. Never heard back.

Check with you local gas supplier for rules on u/g gas lines. Here were I live, the gas line ( black iron schd. 40 pipe ) has to enter a building thru a wall above ground, must have 2, 90', joints must be sealed using masters or equivalent pipe dope. Before entering the building a manual gas shut off valve is required The line going thru the wall must be in a conduit, so the gas line won't come in contact with the wall. Once in the building it must be painted yellow. to the appliance. For under ground soft copper is acceptable, joints must be silver soldered. Plastic gas line is also ok but only contractors can buy it. Once the line enters the wall there must be a 2" minimum drip leg. Also before entering the gas appliance another. drip leg is required. All this can be done by the home owner, no contractor required. As far as testing apply 25 psi air for one hour. Attach a gauge, pressure drop has to be less than 1/2 pound per hour. Record and date, sign, your results and post it on the pipe were it enters the building. Inspection is not required but its recommended for insurance purposes.

Back