Shop Apron

I wear a lab coat when I work with the sleeves pulled up. The sleeves button tight but I still role them up.

Jeff

I wear a "fire hose " apron that I bought from Duluth Trading company about half the time. I like the extra pockets and the heavy weight material although Ray's thoughts about the Velcro and catching in the machine may get implemented into it now. Makes the wife happier than oil spots etc. on my work clothes if I forget to change before shop time.

I wear one just like it most of the time when working with the machines. Keeps the oil off of my clothing and the chips out of my pockets. It also has the swinging micrometer pocket, a nice feature.

Just out of high school (about 3/4 of the way through the last century) I worked in a machine shop for a year. I could choose between an apron or a lab coat type of smock with half sleeves. Most guys wore the smocks because they did a better job of keeping oil off of your shirt than an apron did. Additionally, the smocks were long enough to cover your pockets, but were not as long as an apron. If I could find a smock like that for here at home I would probably wear one of them.

My wife made me one out of heavy denim - it has a loop for the neck and a few pockets in the front for pens, scribes, etc.

I wear one just like it most of the time when working with the machines. Keeps the oil off of my clothing and the chips out of my pockets. It also has the swinging micrometer pocket, a nice feature.

Just out of high school (about 3/4 of the way through the last century) I worked in a machine shop for a year. I could choose between an apron or a lab coat type of smock with half sleeves. Most guys wore the smocks because they did a better job of keeping oil off of your shirt than an apron did. Additionally, the smocks were long enough to cover your pockets, but were not as long as an apron. If I could find a smock like that for here at home I would probably wear one of them.

You can get them at shops that sell Nurses and Doctors clothes.

"Billy G"

I didn't use an apron when welding, but I did learn how a synthetic fabric jacket responds to tiny flying morsels of molten metal during an emergency welding repair ! The other welding thrill I think too many have experienced is when a bead makes it way in to your shoe. The old blacksmithing leather apron I inherited when I bought a mini farm was given to my dad. I kind'a wish I had it now.

I used to wear them a lot, but burned holes in the front apron when welding and angle grinding. Never replaced them - but I really should.

I didn't use an apron when welding, but I did learn how a synthetic fabric jacket responds to tiny flying morsels of molten metal during an emergency welding repair ! The other welding thrill I think too many have experienced is when a bead makes it way in to your shoe. The old blacksmithing leather apron I inherited when I bought a mini farm was given to my dad. I kind'a wish I had it now.

How about snag grinding and your shirt starts burning been there done that, I wear steel toed boots that come up above my ankles and darn if I still don't get that little red ball of heat in my shoes and it hurts like the dickens.

Todd

Back