Shizuoka manual mill help

Edward2541

Registered
Registered
Hi my name is Ed, I recently bought a Shizuoka manual mill model VHR-G, but other mills share some common things of the same brand. I bought it not working but have since at least got it partially running. I have no manuals for this machine, except for a parts list I bought of Ebay. I am in need of a wiring diagram as it has some electrical issues, and someone has changed some wiring. I would like to change it back to how it is suppose to be. Any info on this mill would be greatly appreciated,20231016_151937.jpg20231016_151924.jpg Thanks!

I have the Supermax horizontal which I believe was a licensed copy of the Shizuoka probably from the late 1980’s or early 1990’s. My machine is the horizontal-only version but the inner workings of the lower part of this machine are very similar. I believe the horizontals had a 50 taper and the vertical/horizontal combinations had a 40 taper on the horizontal.

One thing I really like about this machine is its backlash compensating system which works well. The x-axis screw is stationary – does not rotate. The split gear-driven nut in the center provides the drive. One half of the split is rotated by a screw which is accessed by a round knurl knob in front of the saddle. This allows you to twist one half of the nut against the other virtually eliminating backlash. This allows this mill to do climb milling without much excitement even with larger stagger tooth cutters. Something that is not always the case with mills of this size.

My machine even without the vertical head has four motors – a 5 hp spindle motor, a 2 hp feed motor, a 1 hp rapid motor and 1/4 hp coolant pump.

It is a good heavy well-made mill. I’ve had mine apart when I was cleaning and inspecting the machine.

One side note, when I was changing oil in the feedbox, I went with a slightly heavier version than was specified. This feedbox has a cone clutch for the rapids. This heavier oil would on occasion cause the cone clutch to stick in the engaged position. Not a good situation. Going to the correct oil completely eliminated this.

I’ve posted a few pictures of mine plus a manual that I have.
IMG_0795.jpg IMG_1242.jpg IMG_1317.jpg IMG_1405.jpg

Thanks, @Martin W . I’ll just share a little of its history. I got this machine from a friend that has a machine shop in a nearby town. He picked it up from an auction at a Crayola factory that had closed in Winfield, Kansas. He said the factory had never bothered to hook the machine up or run it. He ended up storing it in his dad’s building and they had run it briefly when they had acquired it but had never bothered to put it in service. As far as he knew it had never run a job. I had to repaint it as the pigeons had gotten to it. It had some tooling with it along with three or four arbors. One of my luckier finds.

Wow, what a nice machine! Would you be willing to post a couple of pictures of the wiring diagram? The trouble is someone disconnected the interlock switches from the knee motor control circuit, complete with a couple of cut/spliced wires. One switch is on the knee handle to prevent you getting whacked in the nuts when the handle is engaged, and the other 2 switches are for over travel of the knee. I'm sure I could figure it out, but it would be easier not having to make my own diagram. It looks like your mill has the same switches from what I can see. I am in the process of extensively cleaning and servicing, I have the back gears out and the box clean ready for new grease, I found bearing retainer bolts on the verge of falling out and into the gear train, and one noisy bearing at the very top of the step pulley. Catastrophe averted! I bought a very expensive bucket of the factory recommended Mobil DTE Heavy oil, and I'm in the process of changing all the oil. Next step is take the table off, and clean the oil channels. It will probably last way longer than me, if it gets lubed correctly.

I like the crane for your supports and vice, nice job! I am in need of the arbor supports, the previous owner did not have them. I could fabricate and weld them out of steel with some very accurate measurements, but it would be a lot of work. I would do it, if necessary. This is the new location for the mill, my small ex carport shop, we removed the door and a section of wall to get it in.

Thanks for all the help!20231020_091321.jpg20231020_182523.jpg20231118_114230.jpg20231118_114224.jpg

Here is the electric circuit diagram from my manual. Also, if you need any measurements or pictures of the arbor supports, let me know. Or for that matter, anything else out of the manual. Looks like you have a good mill. Good luck.

IMG_1412.jpg IMG_1410.jpgIMG_1411.jpg

That's a hefty machine, I like it!

Back