Shipping nothing ever changes duh

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
bought something from China.
Got to the states relatively fast.

now the fun comes.
it went to a REGIONAL CENTER in Avenel , NJ
Then it went to a Regional Center much farther away below Philly so it went south
So Kearney is 19 miles from Avenel on I95
But Brigeport NJ is 86 miles from Avenel
Bridgeport to Kearney is 103 miles
So if the goal is to go to Kearney, which would you take 19 miles or (86+103) or 189 miles????
So figure fuel, number of touches, days clogging up different REGIONAL centers :laughing: it's crazy. Now it has to make it out to me, so that will be Kearney, to probably Pittstown and then delivery.

It doesn't make sense. Kearney is the major distribution center for mail outside Manhattan in NJ. So for it to go South rather than right to it makes no sense. I would think most roads lead to Kearney. Not sure who is handling the leg before Kearney the USPS or someone else.
shipment_fubar.jpg

It sounds like they need a new logistics person. I'm not sure how those trips benefited efficiency on the shipper's side. "Ours is not to reason why..." I hope you get it soon. Your story is one of many I've heard about recently.

It's insane the routing some of these companies put packages through. Had something that went within 10 miles of my address 4 different times to distribution centers over 80 miles away before it finally made it to me. Really makes you wonder if they own a map....

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

It's really a problem for the USPS.

Just before Xmas, I tracked a package inbound to me in Maine that went from NJ to Springfield MA, then to New London CT, back to Springfield, to Nashua NH, and finally to So. Portland ME

Utter Madness

I just went through a nightmare with fedx. My $800 exhaust system for my nova was on the truck for delivery 9 times according to tracking info. Was supposed to be delivered on 12-27. Finally arrived 1-11. The box was trashed, so much so summit racing sent me a second kit (by UPS). It arrived on time, not trashed.

I understand employee shortages, but the fedx truck was at my neighbors house 4 times during that period. One day they said is was a weather delay, was the same day my neighbor got packages from them. The opened an investigation, said it was on the truck for delivery. A week later it finally got here.

All mail here in Pendleton, Or. that goes to Pendleton must go to Portland, Or. first, a 400mile round trip. At least, we get our money's worth. :chagrin:

All mail here in Pendleton, Or. that goes to Pendleton must go to Portland, Or. first, a 400mile round trip. At least, we get our money's worth. :chagrin:
Yup, things coming up I5 from California go to Portland, get put on another truck and sent back to southern Oregon. About 500 extra miles.

I got a USPS package on Monday that the postal service marked as delivered on December 17th. They claim to have no idea how that happened ..

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Dejoy, the guy running USPS is doing everything he can to kill it. So I think that is a big part of the problem. Mike

I looked to verify that there is a local, brick and mortar, Post Office (97801) in Pendleton. OR.

Are you saying that if you mail something from somewhere in 97801 to somewhere else in 97801, that piece of mail is transported to Portland (for sorting/routing) then transported back to Pendleton for delivery?

That does sound nuts at first blush. I suppose it has to do with manual sorting in Pendleton and fully automated sorting in a Portland Regional center.

Come to think of it, my local PO (Kalama, WA) used to have a "Kalama Only" mail slot, but the sign was removed a few years ago. I assumed the sign was a victim of vandalism, but now I suspect all mail in Kalama travels to Portland too. I'll ask next time I'm in there.

That process probably allows for fewer employees at the small local POs. Also, facilitates centralized tracking/recording of all types.

Last edited:
Back