Shimming an Atlas lathe bed

I measured the wear of my ways. I don't know what to make of the results.

I measured the thickness (the 3/8" dimension) of the front and rear ways in 6-inch intervals starting close to the headstock and ending near the right end. Six measurements on each way.

The thickness of the ways varied by about .0006 inch (six tenths of a mil) with the thickest area near the tailstock and the thinnest about 1/3 of the way between headstock and tailstock. This was true for both ways. I did this with a good quality micrometer.

The separation between ways (the 5-3/4" dimension - outside edge to outside edge) varied by about .002 inch with the larger separations at the headstock and right side and smaller separations in between. I did this with a caliper - resolution was about .001.

This doesn't seem like much wear to me, but I don't know what is a little or a lot.

Basically no wear in this case.
Earlier you mentioned that there is no issue while turning between centers. I am thinking headstock alignment. As leveling the bed made things worst.
Maybe check this topic.

Could someone who has a 10D or early vertical counter shaft 10F please post a photo or photos showing how the 9-20 Bracket is attached to the lathe? Preferably with motor removed?

I agree that 0.0002" is not enough ti worry about.

Unfortunately I have no photos with that view. If I remember right there is a stud sticking out the side of the ways?
Pierre

Yea, that stud is what I am trying to confirm or not. I have never actually seen anything except the Horizontal. And the one exploded view drawing of the vertical that I have been able to locate doesn't really answer the question.

I suspect we are both looking at the exploded view. I remember the stud correctly now, but I am stumped on how the 9-20 was solidly bolted to the ways. The rest I can figure out.
Pierre

Looking at YouTube videos.
There is a pad cast into the side of the way for the stud to thread into. There are two bolts holes into the headstock back surface at the bearing bosses for the other bolts that also captures the back gear assembly.
Pierre

0AB3B822-A692-42DC-90E0-7A7E470C2113.jpegEF59CD91-B937-42F9-8447-D75C0B2EF129.jpeg

Last edited:
Back