Shielded Vs Sealed Bearings

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
After waiting 2 weeks for bearings, my A**Hole supplier send me sealed rather than shielded bearings for use in my mill. 2 of them will be used on the X axis screw, while the others will be used on the middle idler pulley.
Should I use them, or should I insist on them being shielded like the original. I don' think it will matter on he table, but on the pulley, it will be an inside bearing not really getting any airflow. The pulley is aluminum so there is some heat dissapation..
What do you think???
I wanted to finish the mill tonight, but I'm not sure.

the sealed bearings will be just fine.
i'll interchange a shielded with a sealed, but not a sealed with a shielded.
the sealed bearings are better than shielded bearings IMO-
shielded bearings only really kept dust out- pretty much for use in electric motors or inside protective enclosures
sealed bearings keeps dust, grease, oil, and other contaminants out- they are used everywhere else

as long as the ABEC grade is the same, the sealed is a better (more versatile) bearing IMO

Functionally, they are the same. I prefer sealed bearings so dirt/fluids stay out and the grease stays in. Typically, sealed bearings are maintenance-free for the life of the bearings. Shielded bearings keep out larger debris but not small particles. They also should be lubed at intervals, which can be a pain.

I would use them.

Functionally, they are the same. I prefer sealed bearings so dirt/fluids stay out and the grease stays in. Typically, sealed bearings are maintenance-free for the life of the bearings. Shielded bearings keep out larger debris but not small particles. They also should be lubed at intervals, which can be a pain.

I would use them.
The shielded bearings also don't touch the race, and they dissipate heat. Sealed do touch the cage, unless they are designed not to.
I tend to agree with you.
It's always easier sitting on the outside looking in, vs being in and looking out.

the sealed bearings will be just fine.
i'll interchange a shielded with a sealed, but not a sealed with a shielded.
the sealed bearings are better than shielded bearings IMO-
shielded bearings only really kept dust out- pretty much for use in electric motors or inside protective enclosures
sealed bearings keeps dust, grease, oil, and other contaminants out- they are used everywhere else

as long as the ABEC grade is the same, the sealed is a better (more versatile) bearing IMO

Ok, I'll use them.

Back