Sherline mill arriving Thursday --first thing to make?

Search the Sherline website for "tips". There are a lot of ideas about things to make.
Tip 28 shows a positive lock for the Y axis. Easy to make and well worth the effort!

I also drilled and tapped both sides of the mill vise to add stops.
vise stop 1.jpgbearings 2.jpg

Eric

Last edited:
Keys for the mill vise slots.
T nuts & hold downs.

I made myself a nice miniature set like the Bridgeports use. I made the straps, but bought the small set of step blocks and threaded rod.

I also got leveling flange nuts, threaded rod and rod couplers from McMaster.

Make sure to get the correct size for your mill.

Last edited:
I was off by a week. It arrives on Tuesday 19, Dec. The indexing rotation table has arrived and I have played with it to learn how to use it.
What I really want to make (which may be a bit aggressive) is a steady rest for my WW lathe. Since I am a rank beginner, I think I need to start with soft material like Al or brass. Will see what happens when it shows up.

You could make a tooling fixture plate. That would get you some practice making a flat plate, milling clean edges, locating holes and then threading those holes.

You could start with a piece of flat bar keeping it cheap (easy to find as a drop) and if you fail the first few times it could still be a handy piece of scrap for other projects.

Also your first project is probably going to be a base for the mill. Can be as simple as a hunk of plywood, but some have made much more elaborate bases for theirs.

Back