Sherline mill arriving Thursday --first thing to make?

LWSTech

Registered
Registered
I have never done any milling. Done lots of turning on a WW lathe (making staffs, stems, screws, polish pivots...). Even so, I am an amateur on the lathe.
I need a good first learning make. A friend suggested a clock plate holder (for bushing).
Looking for other ideas.

Well, there's the NEED stuff (fixing, repairing, honey-do list, etc.) and there's the WANT stuff (steam engine, gyroscope, automatic
bird feeder and nose hair trimmer)
So you have to decide which category

Not that it matters but which machine and tools did you get?

The first thing I made when I got my Sherline mill was a squared block of aluminum. I later turned that into a boring bar holder to use on the lathe.
boring bar holder.jpg

I made a clock plate holder by re-using riser tool holders from the lathe. Just added some clamps to the tops.
bushing clamps.jpg bushing fixture 3.jpg

And steam engines.
Elmers 42 all.jpg

Eric

Well, there's the NEED stuff (fixing, repairing, honey-do list, etc.) and there's the WANT stuff (steam engine, gyroscope, automatic

I just use a lighter for this.

Light it and just a quick "SNIIIFF!" and the nose hair is gone.

10" DRO.package A with extended riser. CNC rotary indexer with 3 jaw chucks. And some miscellaneous pieces.

Yup, I make tons of fix it stuff on my 3d printer. No doubt this will continue now that I can make metal parts

Back