Sheldon 15x40, Santa Clara, CA, $1750. Pickup by 4/12

From what I'm seeing this looks to be a late 1960's VR series machine. They were the top of the line and often compared the the higher end Hendey's and Hardinge machines. Rather than 2 bearings at the headstock I believe they have 3. One at each end and another in the center. They are excellent machines weighing in at a little over 4,200 lbs.

The have a 5 hp motor, and an infinite speed range from 0 rpm to 2,500 rpm. These machines are unique in that they use a gear motor to change speeds on a Worthington drive. Speeds are changed with the touch of a button rather than physically changing gears The Worthington is similar to a Reeves drive. One of the potential downsides is the gear motors were made specifically for these machines by Merkle-Korft out of Rockford ILL. The motors were discontinued when the machines stopped being built. My WM series machine uses the same drive, and this system is the easiest machine to change speeds I've ever used. The gear motor on my machine is in excellent shape, and I expect it to last for many years to come. Fortunately I was able to find another new one on eBay a couple years ago for an excellent price. Even if the one currently on the machine dies I should be set for life.

Another thing to consider is the electricals are Furnas. They are excellent components, but the company has been bought out several times. Parts for this generation are getting expensive and hard to find. My machine was built in 1960 and the electricals are still working fine. I was informed however when I bought it that some of the contactors are wearing. I did purchase some new units on eBay, but not all styles in the machine were available. The seller (a former Furnas electrical engineer) suggested that if the electricals needed replacement I switch to Allen Bradley. To that end I purchased a NOS Allen Bradley Full Voltage Reversing Controller model 505-BAB-A2F-A2FA for less than $100.00

The machine looks to be well equipped. If it's in decent shape the price is a steal. Attached are a few pictures of the Worthington drive and a brochure from 1966 outlining the machine specifications. Note the pictures of the drive were taken when it was removed to replace the bearings.

Attachments

• IMG_0373 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0373 - Copy.JPG
    716.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0392 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0392 - Copy.JPG
    788.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0400.JPG
    IMG_0400.JPG
    569.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0401.JPG
    IMG_0401.JPG
    553.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 1966 R Series Machines.pdf
    10.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
What a potentially great deal! Thanks for going through all the potential pitfalls. Recently where there were a good amount of deals there has been a run of stupid expensive deals.

Picturing my 50yo truck pulling 2Tons over the Sunol grade, hmmmm
I more picture trying to stop when some dummy decides to slam on his brakes. Been there, have the hole in the seat cover from puckerage.

Some 35 years ago my wife and I decided to build a patio at our first house. We needed nearly 1,000 bricks so I called the local yard and asked how much they weighed. The answer was 2.7 lbs. each. We took our 1948 3/4 to Chevy to the yard and had them load on a 2 pallets at 500 bricks each. When the first one went on the truck groaned and sat down a few inches lower. When we loaded on the second pallet it went even lower.

Something didn't seem right, but we jumped in and went on our way. Stopping was a real chore and turning a corner was extremely difficult due to to the lack of weight on the front axle. We had to stop a couple times to move bricks from the bed to the cab floor and pan between the bumper and grille just to get the weight better distributed so we could turn corners.

When we finally got home we started unloading. After a few bricks It seemed like they weighed far more than 2.7 lbs. each. We took a few in and weighed them on a feed scale in the shop. It turns out the clerk was a bit dyslexic. Rather than weighing 2.7 lbs. each they weighed 7.2 lbs. each. That poor old truck was carrying a load of 7,200 lbs. of cargo plus my wife and myself.

The truck survived and I kept it for another 25+ years. I finally sold it to a coworker that intended to restore it. I did learn to ask the weight of items I intend to haul several times before taking someone's word for it.

I more picture trying to stop when some dummy decides to slam on his brakes. Been there, have the hole in the seat cover from puckerage.
Had someone pull right in front when it was empty, though they were considerate enough to tap the brakes a few times ;-\
I'm thinking, "4 wheel drums, so that die has already been cast, but sure is good I didn't somehow fail to notice you're there" I did flash the headlights as a courtesy after we stopped

ftr, it is not possible to rent a 2.5T trailer from U-Haul, in case y'll were wondering :-D

Back