Sheet metal welding clamps

I have to laugh. Going to need to paint again, maybe. Forgot about the chip tray. Yeah, it is still green, or parts of it are. Was so excited to mount up the backsplash and set up the tool holder rack. Got it all together and took a step back. This is what I saw.
PXL_20230522_202958585.jpg
It's not a horrible combination. Makes the green look rather old though. If I find some green, I'll pull the backsplash again. It just isn't worth it to me to lift the lathe and get the chip pan out. Haha, maybe I'll get used to two tone (three tone?).

Just rest well knowing there is a percentage of the population who just doesn't see the issue. To me, it looks like PM and Grizzly both claimed that lathe as theirs at the factory.

800wm.jpg

WobblyHand
You never mentioned what kind of welding you're doing .. should we assume MIG ??

WobblyHand
You never mentioned what kind of welding you're doing .. should we assume MIG ??
Yes, it was MIG. I needed to tack corners and things like that, so the back splash had some rigidity, and the loose sheet metal corners wouldn't get bent.

In retrospect (the job is done now) I'd do things a little different, but it came out ok. What I wanted was to prevent chips from getting into the motor, and to have the chips fall in the pan - all while pushing the back splash back an inch to allow clearance for a DRO. It works now, and I can use the lathe again, so I consider the project a success.

Great, another project to make from the forumFlustered:)
You now have a Precision Matthews!

Back