Sheet metal forming books?

The book showed up yesterday. It’s got some water marks, not really damage, no stuck pages and the spine is fine. If not for that I think it’s basically unused. Perfectly readable. Started on the first chapter and I can see why it seems to be “the book”. It’s concepts and terminology that are particular to the field that I don’t ever remember any references to in the sheetmetal work we did in aircraft school. Seems to be streamlined like his references to jump methods. Only 202pgs w/index.

Thanks again Firstram.

No reference to bend allowance doing a quick index scan. He might have some quick rule of thumb jump method. Bend allowance was a big deal in aircraft school but that was 40yrs ago.

Thanks for that, it’s been added to my books on my iPad. I got tired to hauling around all my text books from my automotive and aircraft classes. Never referred back to any of them after graduation and never actually worked as an A&P as the pay here was lower than just being an auto mech. And I didn’t have to sign a log. I donated them to a local used book store. I think I’ll find this chart much more useful.

BTW in my reading last night the author states general practice is to not work in decimals and round up to the nearest 1/16 fraction. Seems more reasonable to me as I’m not working on aircraft.

Last edited:
BTW in my reading last night the author states general practice is to not work in decimals and round up to the nearest 1/6 fraction. Seems more reasonable to me as I’m not working on aircraft.

I hope you meant 1/16"...... otherwise that's a whole new math to learn for me..... :confused 2:

I hope you meant 1/16"...... otherwise that's a whole new math to learn for me..... :confused 2:
oops, you are right. 1/16" I don't know if it was the misspeller in my head or ipad.

So just what I was afraid would happen happened, my “hoarder gene” got riled up by a tool. There was a discussion of measuring and quite a bit of the use of a circumference ruler. Looked it up and no used ones on eBay only new and they seem to be either the flimsy ones(thinner) or the new ones with smaller print. Oh and over $100! Now I could see if I was HVAC guy doing ductwork but do us regular schmo’s need something like that? I have a 3’ aluminum ruler off a defunct t-square so I have a good straight edge.

I guess this will go on the long range radar and hopefully my Teflon brain will be triggered if I ever see one in a dead guy sale. I’m always amazed what shows up once tool awareness dawns and it’s added to the longrange TAS radar.

PI-tapes are good to have for larger items. I have one that takes care of sizes larger than my 12” mic’s.

Back