shars lathe chucks?

woodtickgreg

Active User
Registered
Does anybody know anything about shars tools. I saw them on ebay and I was wondering what the quality was like. The info write up seemed good and the price is reasonable, but I don't know anything about shars tools. I am interested in a 4 jaw scroll chuck 6" for my southbend heavy 10 lathe.

I have an 8" shars 3 jaw on my lathe and it has been veery good the fit and finish is great.:high5:

You can see it in my album I don't know how to get the pic here.:dunno:

Heres some photos of my 6" 3 jaw chuck that I bought from Shars. I ordered it with the backplate that fits right to the chuck and threaded 2 1/4-8tpi for my SB9. I think it cost me $165 out the door. It also came with a set of external jaws that you seein the picture. It works great. I'm very happy with it and as you can see in the picture it closes down to about 1/8". A solid value.

2012-07-05003205.jpg
2012-07-05003244.jpg

The AXA tool post also came from there.

Best value in machine tools anywhere, I've looked around. You can also buy direct from them instead of E-bay. Sometimes the prices are cheaper direct. Do a Google for shars.com

2012-07-05003205.jpg

2012-07-05003244.jpg

How much run out??? About .003" is common for Chinese 3 jaw chucks.

I used a simifinished backplate on my 8" and machined it on the spindle I have less than .001 runout. The chuck and backplate bouth came from shar's

Ditto. Mines within .001 also. I had to tap it around a little to get it there, but its real good. There's a little bit of play between the back plate and chuck. So that's where a little bit of adjusting takes place.

I found their site online, Thank you for the info. Prices are definatly cheaper on ebay.

I found their site online, Thank you for the info. Prices are definatly cheaper on ebay.

Not always. They get you on sshipping on ebay. Where as the website shipping is pretty standard. It pays to check both. Sometimes I've made out a little cheaper on the site when shipping is considered. Not by a lot but $10 is $10.

I also have a Shars 6" 3 jaw and have been pleased with it... definitely less money and it works for my projects.

If you are gettint .001" run out on an Asian lathe chuck,you are doing VERY GOOD!!! That's what I get with a Bison that costs a lot more(but less than a Buck or some other high end chuck).

Be careful of crashes with less expensive chucks like Bisons. They don't take crashes very well.

Back