sharpening

wawoodman

himself, himself
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Newbie question:
What do you guys do when an HSS end mill gets dull? I know the pros all have the proper grinders to resharpen, but what about the rest of you? Do you send them out, or do you just trash them and buy new?

Larger shops have a tool grinder on hand, and there are smaller versions that some intermediate shops can justify. I normally toss them. There's no practical way to hand grind them. Two flute end mills can be sharpened to a drill point, and they do make fine stubby drills. I have thought about investing in a sharpener, but can't really justify it.

I have been chucking them, but I did read up on the use of end mill sharpening fixtures before deciding to do that. There was a thread on how to do this on another forum using the end mill grinding fixture on a magnetic table which while interesting did not cause me to change my mind.

I have a regular batch of sharpening going to a sharpening shop that we have been the local agent for for the last 25 years. They whip the cutters into shape and get them back to me. since there is usually enough in a batch, the freight charges to each client is relatively low.

As Jack stated, it sometimes works out that the sharpening cost approaches the replacement cost, but I prefer to reduce reuse and recycle where possible and that means sharpening cutters until they are worn down to nothing.

We picked up the Darex XT3000 Autfeed sharpener to do our drill bits, countersinks and some other sharpening tasks on,

About 1-1/2 years ago I picked up a B&S #13 Tool and Cutter Grinder, which I am slowing getting to the point of being able to use it, I am at this time only playing with my own cutters and will not do a clients. Once I get more comfortabel with it, then I will see if I want to add that to what i do for others.

Walter

Last edited:
Jack

My service has two levels.

No panic, I wait until I have enough pieces to justify a shipment. That can be anywhere from once a week to once ever couple of months. Once they are shipped, it is one day there, one day back and only a few days at the shop.

I need It NOW! Shipped on the next courier down, so if I have it by morning, it is gone that day and back within a few days. We are also the courier P/U and D/O depot, so the courier is here once or twice a day as they drive past on the out run in the morning and back just after lunch on the return.

In 25 years, never mixed up a clients bits. they are tagged as they enter the building, the PO that accompanies them to the sharpening shop is also tagged with each item and owners name.

I also keep a selection of cutters here for sale when a client comes in and needs a cutter ASAP, or can special order them as well.

As I said before, one of these days will get it together enough to be able to take on clients sharpening in house. Not ever looking at saw blades, they will always be shipped out but end mills and other items like that would like to be able handle here. It is a huge learning curve to make sure you are doing it just right, especially setting up the machines. and making sure you are using the right grits and types of stones.

I have put together a CD on Grinding and Sharpening. It is currently sitting at 453Mb of data on that one disc. Any time I find more info that relates to sharpening, I add to it. It is a collection of varoius tool manuals and training manuals from a variety of sources. Covers T&C Grinders, Surface Grinders and Tool Post Grinders and drill bit sharpeners.

The Machine Shop Videos disc is 2.11 Gb and the General Metal Working Disc is 1.37Gb

The Darrell Holland set is anther 35.8 Gb

No wonder my Hard drive is so full. LOL Actually, I store it on a separate drive and burn to DVD's as required.

Walter

Last edited:
Back