Sharp Milling Machine lead screw adjustment tool-

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
Does our forum have a tool crib? You know, borrow a tool, use it then turn it back in.

I have about .035” back lash in my X travel. The Y is about .007”
The manual says to loosen large ring, tighten small inner ring to desired backlash (.005-.007 is the spec) then tighten the large outer ring.
The problem is access, there isn’t any. I may take the table off to do this.

I contacted Sharp Industries, they want $766 for the tool (see pic)

After thinking about this, I may be able to remove the left side handle and support, after moving the table as far to the right as possible.
Maybe I can get a tool in there??
Note: This is not like a BP. It’s a much heavier 3hp clone and it weighs 3,300.

( Maybe I could make one?)

Attachments

• 41EABC22-09BC-42A8-97C2-CCFC7627D2CB.jpeg
    41EABC22-09BC-42A8-97C2-CCFC7627D2CB.jpeg
    403.8 KB · Views: 47
  • B92EEE67-E476-43CF-841D-9C97A1815FC3.jpeg
    B92EEE67-E476-43CF-841D-9C97A1815FC3.jpeg
    232.5 KB · Views: 46
  • CFC72F37-E661-4D30-8831-875CFFF47684.jpeg
    CFC72F37-E661-4D30-8831-875CFFF47684.jpeg
    515.5 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
A piece of pipe or conduit maybe with a socket the correct size with the drive lugs milled in it. A few small welds and you got your long socket.
Joe

That's a good idea, maybe put the drive lugs on the 2 sockets using two pipes, one for the big, and one for the small, cut the sockets so the drive end is welded to the pipe, and the lug end is welded to the other side?

Does our forum have a tool crib? You know, borrow a tool, use it then turn it back in.

I have about .035” back lash in my X travel. The Y is about .007”
The manual says to loosen large ring, tighten small inner ring to desired backlash (.005-.007 is the spec) then tighten the large outer ring.
The problem is access, there isn’t any. I may take the table off to do this.

I contacted Sharp Industries, they want $766 for the tool (see pic)

After thinking about this, I may be able to remove the left side handle and support, after moving the table as far to the right as possible.
Maybe I can get a tool in there??
Note: This is not like a BP. It’s a much heavier 3hp clone and it weighs 3,300.

( Maybe I could make one?)
There's no formal tool crib that I know of, but individual members have on occasion stepped up to the plate.

Given that you are pretty accomplished at making stuff, (from my perspective, drooling over your threads) it seems rather obvious that you should make this tool.

Figure 26 doesn't look that complicated, if that's the tool you need. Having a welder would help, but I'd bet you could make it without one.

That is a very nice looking milling machine. Green with envy.:apple: You should show that machine some love and make it yourself!

A piece of pipe or conduit maybe with a socket the correct size with the drive lugs milled in it. A few small welds and you got your long socket.
Joe
Yeah, agreed. The tricky part is being able to get a proper measurement. It's tight in there

That's a good idea, maybe put the drive lugs on the 2 sockets using two pipes, one for the big, and one for the small, cut the sockets so the drive end is welded to the pipe, and the lug end is welded to the other side?
The tool has the two sizes. Makes sense to me.
I'll probably have to remove the table to get access to make the tool. $766 gives me plenty of motivation.
I'd sure hate to have to remove the table every time I need to make a small adjustment.

Back