Sharp Mill Purchased

JClen

Registered
Registered
Here I am 2 weeks from retirement and moving forward with my plans to get a hobby machine shop up and running by fall. Fall is the target because we’re going to be gone for 7 weeks this summer.

Anyway, i got opinions on the 1440 lathe that I bought a fee weeks ago, and now I purchased a mill yesterday. It’s a Sharp manufactured 3/04. Here’s a few pics, please tell me that I didn’t screw up… it seemed really nice to me, but I don’t know much.

Thanks

IMG_4561.jpeg
IMG_4562.jpeg
IMG_4563.jpeg
IMG_4567.jpeg
IMG_4568.jpeg

That mill looks really nice. I was on the same path 12 years ago as you are now. I had saved up my vacation pay for the last two years I worked and as soon as I retired I started buying machinery. One of the best things I've ever done. Good luck with building that shop.
Ted

I’m with Pontiac, you’re gonna love it, Sharp makes a fabulous mill.
The last 20 yrs before retirement I ran one pretty much identical to yours every day.
When I retired I went the other way as you, my shop is half of a 2car garage, so I downsized to a RF-31 mill & a SB9 lathe at home.
As much as I like my machines, I sure miss that Sharp.
Have fun.

Nope, you didn't screw up.

Unless of course you paid enough that you could have bought a brand new Wells-Index, but I doubt you did....

John

You did good.
We have a few of those same Sharp mills at work that have been abused since the ‘90s and the only issues we’ve had have been wear of the motor pulleys and one of them was neglected and the pulley wore into the motor shaft.

Sharps are made by First (Long Chang Machinery). From what I understand there has been a few other manufacturers of Sharps but the First mills were the best.

Just because we like photos, this is the Sharp I operated for so many years.
This was a joy to use & proved to be pretty much bulletproof.

Attachments

• IMG_1269.png
    IMG_1269.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 30
Welcome to the Sharp club brother.
I bought mine four years ago, great mill!
You did not screw up, you scored, big time.

You will want to save up for an X and knee drive.

Attachments

• sharp.jpg
    sharp.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 23
Back