Shaper vs mill

a shaper will compliment all of your other machine tools.
a large shaper or planer can hogg off large chunks of material effortlessly.
a milling machine would struggle to keep up to complete the same work.
there are drawbacks- big, heavy, labor intensive, and set ups can be challenging to achieve dimensionally accurate parts
3 phase power is needed for most industrial sized units.
with VFD'd or RPC's, the homeowner can easily power them.

if i had more room, i'd make that run to redding and snatch that beast :congratulate:

Oh man, Ironside - - They would have had to pry that from my cold dead hands - - that is just too cool!!
Second that! I have an Alba 1-A, used it today for a surfacing job that would have been a crappy ***** on the mill. If only I had more room I'd have a bigger one too.

And you can cut gears with a real involute curve:

Cool vid! Thanks for posting.

But can somebody explain the rig? I get the index block, and the index gear, but the wire or whatever it is rigged across it I've never seen before. Admittedly I've only seen gear cutting on the mill, vertical and horizontal. Is the wire wrapped around the index arbor to rotate in place as the carriage moves? So this is so the cutter just has to be cut at a straight angle and ends up with the involuted cut by traversing through? Is this how this did it back in the day or did he come up with this?

The gear blank rotates as the carriage moves sideways. The wire is wrapped around a pattern that is same diameter (or pitch circle, not sure which). The setup was described in Model Engineer in Sep 1950. The method predates that though, apparently used in Maag and Lees-Bradners gear grinding machines.
https://case.edu/ech/articles/l/lees-bradner-co/

Cool vid! Thanks for posting.

But can somebody explain the rig? I get the index block, and the index gear, but the wire or whatever it is rigged across it I've never seen before. Admittedly I've only seen gear cutting on the mill, vertical and horizontal. Is the wire wrapped around the index arbor to rotate in place as the carriage moves? So this is so the cutter just has to be cut at a straight angle and ends up with the involuted cut by traversing through? Is this how this did it back in the day or did he come up with this?
All here C-Bag. Enjoy.

Attachments

• Gear cutting by Generation.zip
    26.3 MB · Views: 45
Thanks NortonDomini but nothing's seems to happen when I click on it with my iPad. Is it a pdf ?

It is a .zip file with 3 pdf files inside. Surely Apple, the supposed pinnacle of all that is easy to use, could handle that? :)

Back