Shanks For Horse Bridle

why don't you sell the shanks yourself and cut out the middle man? This sounds like one of those perfect high value niche market that every part time machinist wishes they could find! Certainly, if you did want to go into it with this guy, do so as a partnership, not as a part maker.

Beautiful work too! Given how much money people spend on their horses, you shouldn't have any problem selling these.
thanks, I kind of thought about what you said but he has all the connections and I have none so I would be starting out on a shaky stand. Also, I looked them up on the web and there are dozens of different ones being made with different names. I know very little about this. At 73, and having cancer 3 times with lung damage and Neuropathy from the Chemo, I need to be very careful about what I do. I hope to finish the other jig this week and post it on line.

that sounds tough! All the more reason to be careful about how you proceed. He may have all the connections, but presumably he has none of the machinery and skills or he would be making them himself, right? Something to think about at least. Talk to some of the members on here who do commercial work, they may have better insights into how they deal with this kind of situation.

I wasn't able to post a video here for some reason. I had to post it on FB. It shows the jig for the horses shank and also another jig for bend small pieces of flat bar. Hopefully I can get the location here and you can see it. The camera shut off early and the lighting isn't too good either. I tried to change the setting so everyone could see it.

Last edited:
Back