Setup of work piece on rotary table

Thanks guys,

There sure is a lot to figure out on getting a part setup correctly on a rotary table. Thanks again for all the help everyone.

With all the help here and a couple of videos I have a much better idea of what needs to happen. I have seen the Joe Pie video in the past and watched it again yesterday. I can see where the bar attached to the table is a great idea, I'll work on that.

I'll work on it tomorrow and get some photos of what I do.

I added a large tenon to the base of my FT to hold in a vice, automatically aligning the tee slots with the X axis. Then I clamp ground tee nuts in the tee slots to give protruding tenons which are used to align my vice with the X axis. After dialling in the centre hole I can then use a dowel in a collet to set the X axis position for the fixed vice jaw and clamp the vice. Then use the dowel again as a stop to set the part in the Y axis. This video shows the method.
This video shows how the vice can be moved to a different position to produce the same part, also using a dowel in a collet for a stop.

Well, I came up with a setup that at least made swapping ends faster. But my first attempt without any kind of fixture turned out just as well but took way longer to setup. I still have a lot to learn, that is expected. The one thing that happened and I didn't get a photo of is that I didn't have the part square or parallel to the table. It was only slightly off but shows up part.

I really need to build a center locating device, it's on the to do list. Here are a couple of photos as promised.

20230311_142449.jpg

20230311_181755.jpg

20230312_102340.jpg

Thanks for all the help on the rotary table. I don't why it seemed so intimidating, I'm still learning how to setup parts and get them cut to the proper dimensions in my vise. Add in all the movements of a rotary table makes it that much more of a learning experience. It was a fun little project.

And the finished product.

20230312_183022.jpg

I’m reminded of an old joke.

Looks bad:
1678692907356.jpeg

Feels good:
1678692936741.jpeg

You’re doing great. Rotary table setups are often complicated and disorganized.

Just want to share some of my experience with rotary table. I found the followings helpful :

1) A hole plate. The four T slots are just tool restricting in terms of the freedom in positioning the clamps
2) Small clamps. Rotary tables are typically much smaller than mill tables
3) Small collet chucks. Typically some of the clamps are placed close to the cutting point so a smaller chuck will help to provide the needed clearance

Back