Setting up Shop with a Craftsman 109.21280

Hey folks,

I'm well on my way to getting the lathe set-up. I still need to install some of the hardware that was missing, and mount the motor and such, but things are coming along so I figured I'd just share a quick little update and a photo. I was surprised to find woodruff keys at the local Ace while I was looking for all the missing hardware. They even had chrome balls! I think the hardware section, if anything, will keep Ace alive, ha! Well, anyway, here's a quick photo of my progress.

David

Attachments

• IMG_0525.jpg
    IMG_0525.jpg
    353.3 KB · Views: 16
Ace is great, I give them all the business I can. For hardware parts like that woodruff keys, dowels pins, springs, and whatnot, the Wilco store up on Wheaton Way has a lot to offer too.

Well, the summer sure went fast! Not a lot to say, but I figured I’d provide a quick update for those who may care.

Needless to say, I’m just picking up where I left off 4 months ago, so I suppose not a lot of progress! I’ve been busy doing some projects outside and around the house, but finally got back to getting a bit of shop time. I’ve been at least doing some reading around model steam engines and model boats (the primary project I wish to tackle first), but need to get the lathe finished. I just need to mount the motor and counter shaft. I’ve been thinking on it and think I might want to fabricate a bracket to mount the motor on that allows me to slide it for tension. Nothing fancy, just slotted holes that align with the motor mount and allows some flexibility to relax and provide tension. Does this sound like a good idea? I think I need to sketch it out so I’ll share more when I get there.

Definitely not directly machining related, but I’m working on making an anvil stand right now out of some dimensional lumber. (Bear with me.). Once I complete that, I’ll plan to then forge some crucible tongs for my new furnace setup. Then I plan to cast a shape out of 85-5-5-5 leaded red brass to be my cylinder head for the engine. I’d say by that time, I’ll be ready to start working with the mini lathe. (Oh, and I’m building a new workbench for my woodworking side of the shop to free up my space a bit. I won’t touch on the wood side too much in this forum unless anyone cares.)

Anyway, I’ll try to dial in the design of this bracket and procure some material this weekend and follow up.

David

Back