Setting Up A Dividing Head Question?

Have so seldom used a dividing head that I had to refer to the handbook to check myself.
The gear looks great. Hope I do as well.

My apologies. I said table.

I would be tempted to cut the gear using the degree marks on the direct indexing plate and the pointer (if your dividing head is so equipped), by disengaging the worm gear hub and using the spindle lock.

OK, now I understand! Unfortunately, my L-W dividing head does not have a direct indexing plate. I saw mrpete222's YouTube video, and I think his Toledo DH had that feature. He showed three different ways to use the dividing head, and that was one of them. Thanks!

GG

Here is a chart from Van Norman for their dividing heads. It has the same ratio as yours; so if you have plates with the same number of holes it's just a matter of looking up the number of divisions that you need.

I hope this helps when you need to cut more gears.

Mike

Attachments

• TABEL OF LEADS AND INDEX TABLE FOR PLATES.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
I made a little laminated chart with the formula that I use that always stays with my dividing head. I don't use mine a lot so when ever I pick it up the chart is there:Here it is if any one would like to use it.
Dividing Head Formula.jpg

Today I cut 5 cast iron gear blanks, and put teeth and a keyway on one. This is the 47 tooth gear previously mentioned. Again, everything went smoothly with no troubles. Now he has both the 37 and 47 tooth change gears that should enable him to cut metric threads on his Logan 820 lathe.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread!

GG

20160313_205229.jpg 20160313_210441.jpg 20160313_213944.jpg

Good looking gear

Just for fun, did you look up what they would cost from Boston or Martin Gear?

Depending on the pitch, 37 teeth change gears from Boston run between $28.50 and $117 at Amazon, but not nearly as fun as building your own!

Steve Shannon, P.E.

Back