Setting Angle On A-11 Cross Slide Equipped 10f

How about this. Print a degree wheel on plastic film or paper, at the correct diameter and glue it to either the compound directly or to a thin steel disk which is then sandwiched between the slide and the top swivel. Naturally you would have to cut away the paper/plastic that is directly under the swivel and stop it from turning randomly, a small pin through the steel backer could do that.

I looked for a small metal degree wheel such as used for timing cam shafts on line but have not found one in a sub 4 diameter as of yet. Mac master Carr sells plastic ones in 3 and 4" in self adhesive towards the bottom of the page.

I found the Incra Precision Protractor. You could use it to scribe your lines via the built in slots on the protractor. Check out their YouTube video.
Pierre

Last edited:
Been looking at the self adhesive ones...even if just to mark a dot for the 29 degree setting. I've never had to set anything else.

RJ, neat idea, but there are no long flat edges on the Atlas compound for me to index from. It's a casting and rounded at the base. Your cut down angle bracket would have nothing to index against.

This is what I did on mine, my lathe is an Atlas 10f I also made some special tool holders for the lathe so this height would not be a problem.
I purchased and extra pot slide from eBay and cut it down then I put it in a 3 Jaw by the spigot and machined off the excess so heres the results.
I'll post some photos of the tool holders later.
Regards
dgehricke

IMG_1344.JPG IMG_1345.jpg IMG_1346.JPG IMG_1347.jpg IMG_2090.JPG IMG_2089.JPG

I had been thinking of doing exactly that so that I can use the Atlas (actually sold as Craftsman since it fits a 12") Cross Slide Turret (double) without losing use of the compound. But I was thinking along the lines of machining a key to fit the T-slots into the bottom.

Thats exactly what I did to hold the piece to the slide if you look closely at the spigot there is an allen cap bolt ¼-20 holding it, works well.

With a mill and some clever aligning one could leave a raised guide on the bottom so the resulting plate will automatically index to the A11 slots.

Spiral_Chips

That's the key that I was referring to.

Back