Setting Angle On A-11 Cross Slide Equipped 10f

cdhknives

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
One hitch I have found in using my new A-11 cross slide. It does not have any easy way that I can see to implement a protractor without adding more height, and the standard Atlas compound doesn't have a nice flat face for a handheld protractor. The top of the slide is already a quarter inch or more taller than the standard slide, and I don't want to lose any more clearance if I can avoid it, so something under the compound is not preferred. It would have to be very thin, and keyed to a slot or the face of the slide to work anyway.

So how do I set the 30 degree angle for threading, or will I have to switch back to the standard Atlas slide for this?

One thing I was able to do is scribe a line perpendicular to the ways, so I have a nice zero reference. I just can't figure out how to get a protractor from the edge of the slide to the compound to set an angle for threading.

Yep. That's one of the reasons that I never have gone to the trouble to install the original Atlas double-holder (turret) cross slide that I have. Because of the back-splash, installing it requires removal of the cross-feed screw bearing. I have an extra cross slide that I could machine to fit on top but suspect that height would be a problem.

Not sure what to do for a 10" lathe. Here is what I did for my 12".IMG_0883.JPG IMG_0885.JPG

I used a cross slide from a 10" atlas. This works great and I made the marks for the full 360 degrees.

Thanks Rob. I remember seeing that pic of your setup somewhere previously. The extra height for my 10" is undesirable to say the least...but it might be the best solution. I rarely thread anything over 2" in diameter anyway.

I assume you have a indexing head for the 360 scribe lines...??? I could use the Atlas bull gear indexing but I think I only get 60 lines at 6 degrees each that way. Good enough for the 30 degree threading index however.

This is what I used to do the indexing. I got a piece of 5/8th all thread and 2 coupling nuts. I turned one down to a MT3 and the other at just a sharp taper. I can then mount a degree wheel or a saw blade to use for indexing. I think with your setup I would look at just a thin piece of sheet metal and one of these. http://www.mcmaster.com/#protractors/=1250w8q . I would then set it up to be mounted to the underside of the button and keyed so you could move it to different slots.
IMG_0878.JPG IMG_0877.JPG dial 4.JPG dial 3.JPG

I use my A11 only when I need to do some milling and the Atlas Milling adapter is too small for the work. For this I added a vertical sliding table: http://www.ebay.com/itm/171917219136 For anything else I just put the standard cross slide back on. Easy-peasy. My back splash is a concrete wall 18 inches from the lathe.

Indexing a compound on top of the A11 is going to present compromises.

Spiral_Chips

You should use an adjustable protractor/triangle. I have the triple scale version, and it is very accurate. It is on the page you linked to.
Pierre

Pierre, I have both manual and digital protractors. I can't figure out how to use them properly. The tool bit will present too small of a face. The compound and toolpost are too high over the slide without major gymnastics. The compound lacks a nice flat face down low. All i can see to use is the index mark, but I need a scale to compare it to. I guess a big protractor cut into a half moon and laid flat, using my X and Y scribed lines on the slide top to 'zero' it, is going to be my best bet until I can manufacture something more permanent. I'd like to use the A11 slide as a general everyday tool because of the added mass and width should equal better rigidity.

One hitch I have found in using my new A-11 cross slide. It does not have any easy way that I can see to implement a protractor without adding more height, and the standard Atlas compound doesn't have a nice flat face for a handheld protractor. The top of the slide is already a quarter inch or more taller than the standard slide, and I don't want to lose any more clearance if I can avoid it, so something under the compound is not preferred. It would have to be very thin, and keyed to a slot or the face of the slide to work anyway.

So how do I set the 30 degree angle for threading, or will I have to switch back to the standard Atlas slide for this?

One thing I was able to do is scribe a line perpendicular to the ways, so I have a nice zero reference. I just can't figure out how to get a protractor from the edge of the slide to the compound to set an angle for threading.
Here is what I did to quickly and easily set the compound angle for threading.
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/29-5-deg-angle-tool-for-lathe.34541/#post-299346

Back