Set-up ideas needed, (if possible)

Jim F

Registered
Registered
I live in a 2 BR Apartment, 2nd bedroom is a good size for some of the stuff I have.
What would work for flooring ? I was thinking heavy mil plastic under OSB on top of the carpet.
I can make backsplahes for wall protection.
I have access to a dirt floor basement that I could put the saws and material in, on some OSB or plywood.

You want to use this room for a shop? What kinds of machines or stuff are you planning on putting in there?

Hey Jim , I did hear you moved . I'll stop in next time thru . :encourage: ( which will be very soon )

I have built several floating floors for a radio station, sound attenuation was the goal there, but the construction would be similar to what you are trying to achieve. We used a double layer of ¾", T&G, OSB screwed and glued together to form a mat that was supported by special rubber blocks spaced every 16" X and Y. No fastening at all, was made to the subfloor. This made a very solid floor that supported a massive broadcast consoles loaded with equipment, dance parties, live bands, etc. Not sure how carpet would be for support, especially under a concentrated load, I guess it depends on the carpet pile height and density. I would think if you built a similar floor, you could buildup thicker sections where the machines will be located, to better distribute the load.
That being said, It might be easier to simply roll up the carpet, store it and put it back, when you move. You can install a sheet vinyl or other inexpensive floor covering over the subfloor, in the interim.

Load per Sq ft will be problem, but you can distribute the load.

Lots sells plytainium branded sheet stock.

APA ratings are based on span sizes and loads, reference is load compared to 16 inch centers for truss support.

We used the 1.125 size as it is rated for 48 inch span.

You can place a 4x8 sheet of this ACROSS the floor trusses to spread the load across a greater area.

There are likely some formulas for how this is done, the sheet can bend a little so abit less spread.

You could attach 2x6 along the edge on top next to the wall to stiffen the unit.

We made a platform with this material on bottom, a frame of 2x10 with more on top, it was glued and screwed together, we cheated, we used a few screws into the floor to make it form fit the floor.

Was able to put about 1000 pounds on a floor rated for office loads, less than 75 pounds per Sq ft.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

The load you're talking about isn't that much - I think the floor framing will support it.
The problem with the plan is, with any kind of sheet material, unless its screwed down, it's likely to warp and lift the edges.
Especially with today's crappy material. Especially if it's ground floor, with concrete, or crawl space under.
This will cause no end of annoyance - DAMHIKT..........

How about covering the floor with rubber cow mats from Tractor Supply, and putting the machines on small plywood bases on top of that?
I'd plan to budget a new carpet from the rental security deposit, in any case - Machine work always has hidden costs.......

Thought about this more - Plastic, then 2x4 stringers, laid on flat, then plywood (or whatever) screwed to the stringers - That would work.
If the door to the room opens in, then that would have to be removed and stashed, but a small price to pay :~)

Back