Servo Power Feed Question

Rifleman1384

Registered
Registered
So I have an older Bridgeport Mill. I have rebuilt the Vari-Speed head, added the one-shot oiler. I am happy with the machine, it came with a servo power feed. I was thinking about rebuilding it. it turns out it is likely an older model 90 per Servo. I sent Servo the serial number and they replied that best they can guess it's a model 90 and they haven't made that model in 30 years and almost no parts are still available. So it looks like I'll be upgrading it with a new one.

My question is which would be better the Servo 140 or 150, I will be using it on the X-Axis. Please let know what you have along with pro's and con's. Thanks for your input.

Steve

I had the 150s on most of my mills with never an issue . I now have an original BP power feed but haven't hooked the mill up as of now .

At the cost of a new Servo, I would suggest looking at the Align Taiwanese drives which are 1/2 the price and very well built. The difference between the Servo 140/150 is the drive torque, on the X drive you would be fine with the 140 if you went that route. You might also check with H&W if they can rebuild your old drive.

So I have an older Bridgeport Mill. I have rebuilt the Vari-Speed head, added the one-shot oiler. I am happy with the machine, it came with a servo power feed. I was thinking about rebuilding it. it turns out it is likely an older model 90 per Servo. I sent Servo the serial number and they replied that best they can guess it's a model 90 and they haven't made that model in 30 years and almost no parts are still available. So it looks like I'll be upgrading it with a new one.

My question is which would be better the Servo 140 or 150, I will be using it on the X-Axis. Please let know what you have along with pro's and con's. Thanks for your input.

Steve
If you're comfortable with electronics, you may consider fixing what you have. Try this guy for parts on the old Servo 90.
The one that came on my circa 1978 Lagun had a dead spot in the speed control potentiometer, and just ran poorly in general. I replaced all electrolytic capacitors on the board, got new brushes for the motor, and a new potentiometer from the above link, and it runs like a champ!

The 50, 70, and 90 are obsolete and H&W can't/won't do anything with it (they were obsolete before I started fixing em). I am partial to the Servo 140/150 but its because it is what I see the most. The Align AL-500 is a solid power feed especially for an import and is quite easy to repair.

Jon

Does the Servo use spiral gears or straight like the Align and is there any difference in use? Dave

Thanks to everyone for the info. I'll get my mind made up and get something ordered soon. These 6x12 weeks have put a damper on stress relieving fun time. Looks like it'll either be a Servo or Align, I'll shoot Barry a note just to confirm on the Servo I have.

hwelecrepair, based on your post am I wrong for assuming you are or might be associated with H&W, if so I would like to pick your brain on this matter if repairing these is what you do.

Thanks Again Everyone

Steve

Thanks to everyone for the info. I'll get my mind made up and get something ordered soon. These 6x12 weeks have put a damper on stress relieving fun time. Looks like it'll either be a Servo or Align, I'll shoot Barry a note just to confirm on the Servo I have.

hwelecrepair, based on your post am I wrong for assuming you are or might be associated with H&W, if so I would like to pick your brain on this matter if repairing these is what you do.

Thanks Again Everyone

Steve
Not wrong at all, I am the DRO/power feed guy there. :D
Does the Servo use spiral gears or straight like the Align and is there any difference in use? Dave
Both of the gears look the same, the zytel gear is straight but at a slight angle.

Jon

Back