Servo 150 Power Feed Retrofit Question

Bob Korves

Platinum
Rest In Peace
I am installing an old Servo 150 power feed on my Millrite mill. I have already rebuilt the power feed, made the needed adapters and lead screw extension, and I know how to set the power feed up and shim it to work correctly. I still need to paint the power feed, cut another woodruff keyseat in the lead screw extension for the ball handle, make a step key to fit in the original keyseat location for the bevel gear to fit on, and finally trim the lead screw extension to final length and put a cross pin through the threaded joint. I am using a Bridgeport bevel gear and dial because it fits and was cheap, and also so I can keep all the original unmodified parts so it can be put back like it was originally.

My question is how the bevel gear is retained against thrust toward the ball handle when installed on a Bridgeport mill. Is the ball handle the only thing retaining the bevel gear? Something needs to hold the bevel gear against the shims at the power feed. I guess using the handle works, and it will probably need to work for this installation, but it just doesn't seem like an elegant design if that was intended. Thanks.SAM_1420.JPG SAM_1422.JPG

Last edited:
The end of the shaft is threaded for a nut that draws the handle up against the bevel gear. Usually a spring loaded dis-engaging handle is used.

Thanks, derf. A nut on the end would be in the way with this handle. I suppose I could use a washer with a flat socket head screw to retain it. That would be more compact and would give more security against the handle moving than just the set screw from handle to shaft. Dis-engaging handles are not going to happen, I will need to respect those spinning handles, which can be dangerous.

Could you put on a handwheel without a handle in place of the bone crank?
While it would spin it wouldn't catch your pant's pocket.

Daryl
MN

A handwheel is harder to rotate, but you could get one with the folding handle. I have a cheap dis-engaging crank that requires a little maintenance now and then because it doesn't always want to dis-engage. One little slap to the nads and I know it's time for a tune up...:eek 3:

Back