Serious drill bit purchase help!

I have been very happy with garage sale and ebay finds, especially in the name brands. I can send you a couple to try if you would like. But, most cheap drill bits are good enough these days, as long as you can keep them sharp. Harbor Freight and Lowes have decent offerings. Now, taps are another matter. Cheap taps are much worse.

Thanks @ericc i think I’m gonna order the Norseman 115pc cryogenically hardened set. I appreciate the offer however. I’m just so on the fence about cobalt vs the cryo HSS. I do A LOT of stainless...and yes taps are very challenging on SS. I need a good suggestion on those but I’ll do one offs as needed.

I put no faith in cryo hardened bits.
just going on experience with other cryo things.
Very interested in hearing how they perform. Hopefully good!!!

Thanks @ericc i think I’m gonna order the Norseman 115pc cryogenically hardened set. I appreciate the offer however. I’m just so on the fence about cobalt vs the cryo HSS. I do A LOT of stainless...and yes taps are very challenging on SS. I need a good suggestion on those but I’ll do one offs as needed.

As an FYI I would guess that 60% of the time I use 316, or 417 stainless. The next most used material is 6061 or 6057 aluminum. The remainder is 1018 steel and various bits of tool steel with a little brass and cast iron thrown in. I don't own a cryo drill that I am aware of, but have never had drilling problems.

If you're doing primarily SS then cobalt is the correct answer, assuming you don't have the speed to effectively use carbide. I stuffed in a new, good HSS bit into my lathe the other day because that was the first bit I grabbed. It lasted about 6 parts in 304 SS. Then I put in a cobalt bit, and it lasted the rest of the job, a couple hundred parts. Both of these were 135° stub drills. For tapping SS I normally use Guhring spiral flute taps, ran the whole job on one tap.

I feel like I’m hearing Colbalt is perhaps a safer bet than the unknown of the cryo hardened HSS. That’s my gut feeling too. I’ve got both in my cart & need to pull the trigger. I guess cobalt it is!

The thing I like about cobalt is that if you happen to get the drill a little overheated it is not immediately trashed. I really like mine.
Robert

Why the big sets?

Find a good price on a decent large set for "general use".

But you will find that you usually only use certain ones more than others.

For the few sizes that get used often buy the best you can afford for the need.

If you only drill one hole in 10 years of some odd size a lower quality may be fine but drilling many a day then it matters.

Spend wisely...

We have the hf large set and many estate sale finds that get us by.

It seems we only use maybe 5 different sizes for common tasks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I really needed to have Cobalt for the stainless I do. I have many drill sets, but some are brad point, some are 118 degree...etc. I just wanted to knock out the the miscellaneous chaos & have a good base set. (I did buy the Norseman 115 piece cobalt set) I feel like 99% of my needs are covered now. The 135 degree bits are much nicer, I never had these before.
Ultimately, for others looking for drill sets, there is some good advice in this thread now. Thank you all!

Last edited:
May be too late, but I just got this from Travers Tool: 115 pc Rushmore (US) jobber length drill set for $177.99 (normally $282.16)

To activate deal of the day pricing, simply mention or enter promo code DEAL into your shopping cart.

Back