Seneca falls lathes Star 30 worm Gear (1910)

Fred1000

Registered
Registered
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knows what type of key was used in the star 30 brass worm gear for the apron. It doesn't seem to have a keyway through the entire gear, only the cut outs on the ends. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-FredIMG_4001.jpegIMG_4002.jpegIMG_4003.jpeg

About the closest thing you’re going to get resembling a parts breakdown are product brochures on the Vintage Machinery website. At the back of each brochure there’s a replacement parts list with graphic representations of each part. There is a part #581 labeled "key for worm" on page 43 of the Seneca Falls #27 2nd edition catalog. I tried to upload a copy of the catalog, but it's too big. Here's a link to the one on the Vintage Machinery website. There are several other catalogs available for download.

According to the Lathes UK website never any operator, parts, or repair manuals published.

Last edited:
Th
About the closest thing you’re going to get resembling a parts breakdown are product brochures on the Vintage Machinery website. At the back of each brochure there’s a replacement parts list with graphic representations of each part

According to the Lathes UK website never any operator, parts, or repair manuals published.
Thanks heaps for the information I’ll check it out. I’m also hoping someone here has restored this model and has some idea if it’s sheared or there was a different style of key used. One again thanks for the help.

You are an absolute legend. I just has a peak at that website you advised me to check out and known behold I found it. I had a feeling it was similar to this however it seemed to me that having only two small points of contact as a key way and not all the way through would be weak. Regardless it’s like in the picture I linked below. Thanks once again. Greatly appreciated! IMG_4013.jpeg

Glad you found the information you needed Do you think the key was some kind of “ safety “ to protect the gear ?

Similar to my 1916 South Bend
my South Bend is a ACME THREAD, that part is not hard to replace, the gear is nearly impossible to replace,which out a truckload of thousand dollar bills

Glad you found the information you needed Do you think the key was some kind of “ safety “ to protect the gear ?
I think as dirty tool said, it could be a safeguard to keep the gear or acme thread from shearing.

Back