Semi-cheap DRO for my lathe

pdentrem

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I decided to make a semi-cheap DRO for my lathe. It is just for the longitudinal feed. You and I have seen many people use cheap $20 Digital Vernier Caliper to make a DRO. The problem I have with this method, is that I have to look back and down to see the reading on the display. This can be distracting, at least to me.

I did not want to spend hundreds of after tax dollars on a DRO that is just an accessory that I really do not need.

Last month I came across a DRO unit that has a remote display, and it does not cost a whole lot either!
It is actually a DRO for a router that is setup on a table. It is sold by Wixey. As you have to adjust the typical router from the underside, having a remote display is a bonus. The display is on a 3 foot cable. On further review I thought that it would work for my lathe.

I make a couple of brackets from scrap metal and installed the unit on my lathe. It only has 5†of travel but that is plenty for most of the jobs that I have done to date. I still have to decide on how to mount and locate the display. The picture shows it just jammed into the gap of my tool drawers.

Hope you guys have a glance at the pictures.
I hope that it is not too many.
If it causes the brain to say “Hey I wonder....†enjoy.

Sensor-bracket.jpg Ready-to-install.jpg installed-on-lathe.jpg View-of-unit-from-the-back.jpg What-I-ordered.jpg What-you-get-in-the-box.jpg Remote-display.jpg Scale-bracket.jpg Brackets-mounted-on-unit.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just fell in love with the Igage DROs orderd 3 for the mill. !! its just that old tool fever again..
BRIAN.

Mine arived and were fitted the next day. just need to tidy the leads with some spirofex .
very easy to fit . the rear view looks a bit off to many cellibration beers.

I wonder if these will last as long as Dads digital mike bought in the early 1920's I think
the mike will still be around in regular use, when the read outs are history.

P1011132.JPG P1011133.JPG P1011131.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Likely you are right that the mic will outlast the DROs and us as well!

Allendale are a good supplier of scales in the uk, this is my setup with yadro very impressed with results once ali tape was wrapped round the scale lead to stop VFD interference. Going a stray a little have you got any details on your X axis setup.
cheers

Hi
Now thats what i call a read out!!!!!!
If you look in the down loads I have placed more info on my DROs
any help I can give just ask.

Regards Brian.

I wish I could buy an interface cable to use a cheap PC for a DRO

Back