Selecting A Mag Drill?

Mag drills are nice. I've used one many a time over the years. Dad pieced together a new Milwaukee mag drill with the No. 3 Morse taper spindle. My brother was using it on a job we hand in the shop drilling some holes into the edge of a piece of 6" steel plate 2 x 3 foot square. We had the steel plate on the mill table of the No. 5 mill we had. He forgot to remove the mag drill from the edge of the plate and unplugged it from the power source. Yep, almost 100 lbs of mag drill went to the ground!

I have used mag drills many times for putting holes in special machine base plates. I especially liked the ones that have reverse so I could also tap a hole with it.

Can't comment on the Milwaukee MD, but all other Milwaukee corded power tools I own are well built.
I purchased the mag drill on eBay for $450 including shipping. The bonus was the two sleeved cutters hidden within the hard case. I did have to turn a new handle (brass). The tool had all the paper work and warrantee card included. Point being, some good deals out there.

I have used mag drills many times for putting holes in special machine base plates. I especially liked the ones that have reverse so I could also tap a hole with it.
That sounds like a really nice setup. I've looked at the tapmatic like attachments and have sticker shock for a mag drill dedicated solution... as this is the first time I have really needed one. I wouldn't hesitate if it was a daily need. Tapping big holes != fun.

Back