Seeking Advice re Suitable lathe and Milling Machine for my Workshop

Love the old "sensitive" drill press. I have one that is similar, but without the rotary? table. been trying to decide how to build and mount one.

Xiansheng -

I think you made a great choice there! Haven't seen the equivalent of the HM52 (as equipped) anywhere here.

While checking out the AL960B, I noticed that the threading charts are the same as my older Grizzly 12"x24" lathe. Here are two screen shots for comparison. The first is the metric gear setup chart from yours, the second from mine:

Metric Thread Chart AL960B.jpg Metric Thread Chart G1003.jpg

You may notice the same thing I did - that many of the thread pitches available just aren't used in standard metric fasteners. And several that are used aren't shown on the charts! Just for fun, I did a bunch of calculations on a spreadsheet, and found a way to get all of them except the 5.5mm pitch (used on M56 screws). Three of the thread pitches aren't quite precise, but they're good within +/- 1%. They're marked with asterisks (*) on the table.

Metric Thread Chart JMH 12X24.JPG

Enjoy your new tools!

EDIT - somehow, I'd included an earlier version of my chart, tried to delete it, and it stuck around. Can't seem to get rid of it, so just ignore.

Metric Thread Chart AL960B.jpg Metric Thread Chart G1003.jpg Metric Thread Chart JMH 12x14.jpg Metric Thread Chart JMH 12X24.JPG

Hi John,

Thank you for your help in calculating and providing the chart. It will be very useful!

Hi Chuckorlando,
Prior to choosing the machines I have settled on, I gave strong consideration to your advice. Ultimately though, it came down to there was a quality level which I could not accept going below. Size was also an issue, so I avoided machines that would limit the size of work I could undertake. finally, I think/hope I have made the best choice for my circumstances. Thanks for your advice.
Regards

Xiansheng

Back