Second apron gear failure in a few hours.

That worn slides up and down the lead screw guided by a key. Did you try to slide it before reassembly. If it binds it will put undue stress on the gear.

"Billy G"

Yep,
Sure did,
Lead screw slid into the worm gear during reassembly no problem,
There was copious amounts of grease too !!
Im leaning toward a defective run of that 42 tooth gear.

Woodstock (Shop Fox M1049) manual page 48, item 303
Grizzly manual page 62, item 739
That is a metal gear.

Ah, kinda looked like delrin (acetel) at first glance.

I just submitted to Amazon a request to return this lathe,
I've had it a year,
I kinda doubt it will be authorized, but worth a try.

I think you are correct Gregg. It;s a bad run.

If you paid with a CC they often can step in and get at least most of the money back- I've had good luck with Chase that way

Well,
Submitting the return request is a first step.
I bought this lathe in January of 2017, it literally sat on my bench untouched for a year until this past January 2018.
Ya know how it goes, all kinda if projects I want to do until life steps in and sucks away all your time away.
Anyway, it has maybe 5 hours on it, too bad, I enjoyed working with it.

Well guys,
My cursory inspection with a mirror was incorrect, it WAS NOT the 42 tooth gear that failed.
This afternoon I finally had a chance to remove, disassemble and inspect the apron.
I learned this gear shaft was gouged. (see pic)
jxLDbez.jpg
By disassembling the entire apron I have learned that the oil fittings send oil thru the gear shafts to the cast iron race
(which is the apron body) and then thru oil passages to OTHER gear shafts, this "cascade" effect means you
have to use lots of oil and while oiling the apron has to be moved side to side to allow the oil to flow from
one gear shaft thru the oil passages to the lower gear shaft.
From now on I will be oiling until I see oil drip onto the chip tray.
I hope this thread will help other beginners with this kind of lathe to understand oiling the apron.

Back