Searching for a lathe

slingshot

Active User
Registered
Hello everyone I have been looking at buying a new lathe been trying to decide between a Birmingham Grizzly or PM in the 12X36 class.I have very little experience with lathes so it's going to be a learning experience. I want to do a little gunsmith work and other odd and inns around the shop.Does anybody have any suggestions on which lathe is possible the most accurate and has the most features for the price? Thanks.

Hello everyone I have been looking at buying a new lathe been trying to decide between a Birmingham Grizzly or PM in the 12X36 class.I have very little experience with lathes so it's going to be a learning experience. I want to do a little gunsmith work and other odd and inns around the shop.Does anybody have any suggestions on which lathe is possible the most accurate and has the most features for the price? Thanks.

I have no experience with the Birmingham or Grizzly, but I did look them and others over before I decided on the PM1236. If you want to check out my dealings with
it so far go HERE.

I'm happy with it so far as well as other people here.

Gary

Second vote for the PM 1236. When I was shopping for a lathe a couple years ago, I searched high and low for both new and used. In used equipment, I couldn't find what I was looking for. I studied every new lathe with a fine tooth comb and settled on the 1236.

It just so happens, I communicate with the owner at PM on a regular basis. Matt knows his machines and he searches far and wide to get the best features you can put in a package and he sells at an honest price. Yes, there are other lathes in it's class that have things like D1-5 spindles instead of D1-4 but, I simply don't see the need for that in a 12x36 machine -then paying a few hundred more for it. The really important features of the PM 1236 is the spindle speed which have a higher range than most in it's class. No, it won't do 112 TPI but, who cares -you'd need a carbide sewing needle for thread that fine -so why pay extra for a machine that does 112TPI? It has a perfect range of auto-feeds. The internals are simple and easy. It does not have a fancy owner manual but, the overhead staff it takes to publish and maintain those documents are why other lathes cost 15-20% more. The parts -if you should ever need them are available from Matt and could also be found on most of the Grizzly machines...

I have several threads on this as well as Gary K and Darkzero. Search for them and read all about it.

I recently purchased a grizzly 4003 benchtop lathe. I'm happy with it thus far. I've ordered about 10 machines from Grizzly over the last 5 years. No major problems with any of them. I did not look at the PM at the when I was thinking about this particulare purchase. You can download the ownwers manuals for the Grizzly's machines form their website so you can have a better feel for what you will be getting. Based on what I've read the manual will apply to the PM machines as well.

Grizzly has a 10% off discount code for sawmillcreek members on orders over $300. SAWMILL10%.
This code expires today.

Mikail

A used lathe is no different than a used car. You take your chances and have to enter into it with the mindset you might end up working with the tool or on the tool... That's your call. You can increase your odds by carefully inspecting or operating it -if you know what you're looking for. I personally stick to new or, 1-owner equipment and would not purchase a used lathe sight unseen unless the owner gave some clear indication of it's condition. I would be judging the knowledge and character of the seller as much as I would be inspecting the machine. Old used lathes could have changed hands a half dozen times and you have no idea what kind of repairs have been done.

The biggest problem with older ones (pre 1950s) is they often don't have RPMs beyond 1000 to 1500 or so (not always). Any used lathe (new or old) might have gear or leadscrew damage. Jibs and ways could be shot... etc...

I had an Atlas for a few years and made more parts for it than you can imagine. That $300 thing cost me another $400 to get it usable again and then, it was really too light duty to serve my purposes.

If Grizz has a good sale going on now, jump on it. They are fine machines too and all of the machines we've mentioned so far are basically the same thing plus/minus some small details that are not show-stoppers.

All that said... Some folks love rebuilding old iron. -And that's perfectly legit and I completely understand the passion and cherish my 1920's surface grinder that still holds 0.0001" !

I will say this... I have seen countless stories right here on this list (and others) of people rebuilding old equipment. If I had to take a wild guess, I'd say folks are spending around 200-300 hours (5-8 weeks) of their time and probably 200-400 bucks (conservatively) on supplies, petty parts and ancillary equipment to perform the rebuild. -And I know some people are spending way more...

New or used is your question to answer and there is no right or wrong.

Ray

PS: The lathe I really wanted instead of the PM1236 was a late 70's vintage Sheldon similar to the one shown. I had a crack at it for 3 grand and it was in perfect shape. Sadly it required a 10HP motor and while researching how well it would work with a 5HP motor, it got snapped-up by some other lucky guy.

l300074.jpg

I was wondering if anyone would have a look at this http://www.classifiedads.com/tools-ad20059737.htm and tell me if this is a good deal. I was also wondering if anybody was familiar with this one? it looks a lot like the pm http://www.classifiedads.com/tools-ad24866052.htm thanks.

I have just about decided to go with the Grizzly G3004G has anybody got a coupon code for Grizzly?From what i have been reading the bearings in the headstock of this particular lathe are superior to others in this class.

I have called PM and left a message for matt to call me about the PM12x36, but he has not returned my call so i guess they have plenty of money and don't need mine lol,from my understanding Matt also sells Grizzly,I have called Grizzly about the G4003G they told me it would probably be late April before the lathe would be available.So it looks like I;m going to have to hurry up and wait.lol

I have just about decided to go with the Grizzly G3004G has anybody got a coupon code for Grizzly?From what i have been reading the bearings in the headstock of this particular lathe are superior to others in this class.

I have called PM and left a message for matt to call me about the PM12x36, but he has not returned my call so i guess they have plenty of money and don't need mine lol,from my understanding Matt also sells Grizzly,I have called Grizzly about the G4003G they told me it would probably be late April before the lathe would be available.So it looks like I;m going to have to hurry up and wait.lol
They weren't kidding about being available in April. My G4003G is coming tomorrow between 9 am and 1;00. I ordered it about three weeks ago !Ed P

Back