[How-To] Scriber material

DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I'd like to make a decent scriber since I'm always looking for something when doing layout. I recently came into some brass rod for the body but I'm at a loss of what to use for the scribe part.
I was thinking of using a 3/32" TIG electrode as they seem to be very hard, albeit perhaps a bit brittle.
Any suggestions on good material to use?

David...I use an old Starrett watchmaker's screwdriver....sharpened to a tip. When it gets a little dull, it takes a couple of seconds to sharpen on a grinding wheel, sanding belt or #220 grit paper on a block. In your case, the drill approach cited above is a great idea too. I made a scribe with a brass handle and used 0.125" diameter O-1 tool steel...hardening and tempering the tip was easy to do: heat to cherry red (or so) with a propane torch and quench in vegetable or motor oil. Clean the oxide off with #220 grit paper and then heat until it turns a straw color.

I made one from a lead drafting pencil holder and use a sharpened tig Tungsten rod, works for me

Great idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent feedback gents!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starrett also sells hardened steel and carbide replacement scribe tips on Amazon. I own scribes with both of these kinds of tips and they work really well but the carbide one stays sharp longer.

Back