Screw Car Lift/hoist Question. Anyone Have One?

Rcdizy

Registered
Registered
I was thinking of buying a used one...
Anyone have any experience with these screw style car hoists?
This is a car hoist "Stenhoj DS2" Model made in Denark

Basically it lifts with 2 huge acme threaded rods inside the posts that turn together with chain and sprockets under the baseplate. It uses 2 brass or bronze lift nuts and 2 safety lift nuts. apparently you check for wear by the gap between the nuts.
I can't find any maintenance information on them. Parts are expensive from Europe if any available....

Do you think I could check for wear and do maintenance using common sense?

26050810175_6457d11588_b.jpg

Wouldn't want this to happen......

http://www.chevyhardcore.com/news/p...gallery-lift-safety-and-a-destroyed-68-camaro
Read the comments to the end, it is a screw hoist.....

camaro1.jpg

camaro1.jpg

camaro1.jpg

camaro1.jpg

camaro1.jpg

camaro1.jpg

How much they want for it?
I'd also want to know why it's sitting in a field rusting, replace the chain probably for sure. Check and check and triple check everything

Last edited:
Man...Honestly, I go with the modern hydraulic system with safety lock stops. The Acme system requires a lot of maintenance (a lot of moving parts) and if your motor was to quit you be hard cranking a stuck rig. A ton of grease to make a mess of things.
Many good deals on two post lifts but beware of junk non certified lifts sold in many forms.
I purchased a 10K asymmetrical Bendpac with low pro arms for $2600.00 including delivery. Not the best in class but a nice safe lift that meets my needs and is certified . The problem with preowned lifts, unless you see it in action prior to purchase you never know what might be wrong with it. You could have as much into it as a new lift when all said and done.

Most mishaps like the picture above are a result of bad placement of rig or human error. I keep 2 ton jack stands near by for those jobs that require large component removal that change center of gravity.
20141112_094659.jpg
Lifts are handy as hell, but kill just the same.

The small grade in the village had one. It was ancient, I rebuilt the sprockets on it once, the old ones were wore to needle points. It still functioned well but the bottom of the frame was getting rusty to the point that it wasn't safe. Seams to me to be a better but more expensive alternative to hydraulics. The nuts and threads should be easily inspected. Have a good look at the lower portion of the frame, salt off vehicles killed Tom's.
I went for a cheap Chinese hydraulic one but never lift more than half its rating.

Greg

Poor Camaro, but thankfully it doesn't look like anybody was under it when it fell, or at least they got out quick enough.

AFAIK new ones have ratchet stops every few inches. Two of my neighbors have them.

The poor 68 ,"Craftsman lift looks like the left arm fell off at a bad time

Yeah, lifts are great until you do something that you shouldn't. I took my company truck to Firestone to have the oil changed at 6000 miles. Not a 6K change the odometer said 6000 miles. It's one of the new model Ford Transit's that is bigger. Not the huge one, but the one below it. they decided it would be a good idea to lift it by the foot wells and not the frame. So they screwed up the foot wells on BOTH sides. I was NOT impressed. If you get one, learn to properly use it. While I agree that non-certified import crap is more dangerous than a good lift. Not positioning the vehicle weight correctly on it and other incorrect operations will cause far more danger than it being an import. It's sort of like incorrectly putting cement blocks under a car. You may get away with it once or even 1000 times. But it only takes one failure to drop a 2 ton car on you and make you have a real bad day

Back