Scraping in a straight edge

@Richard King 2
Thank you for your time and advise. My grandfather was a machinist during WWII in Fond Du Lac, Wisc for Giddings and Lewis. He and I got along well, although his little shop at the back of the garage was definitely OFF LIMITS for us as kids. He always spoke very highly of hand scraping and those skilled in that art. I would certainly buy you dinner if you were willing to stop in Indiana!! Let me know the best way to contact you privately.
It will be my honor to help you learn to scrape Rabler as I have several members here on Hobby Machinist I have taught to scrape. I will be driving out to Mechanicsburg, PA in the upcoming months to teach a class for DIPEC (US military machine rebuilding depot) to another class of their Apprentices. I have taught all there Journeymen to scrape over the last 30 years) and I can swing by your shop in Indiana to show you. You can buy me dinner .. :)

Here are pictures of my scraper and latest pass. I can only work a few hours a day before my shoulders get sore. I'm using a full body technique as I've seen your students do. It is still tiring. Looks like a roll of duct tape has an I.D. of 2.5", so I just used that as a reference for my scraper.

The benchtop surface plate I'm using is a cheap import. I'm hoping to get my 3x4 granite plate calibrated at some point. It sits in the shop office, which is cleaner and has better temperature control.
IMG_4853.JPGIMG_4855.JPGIMG_4858.JPG

As a side note, I too have Connely's book and mine is signed by Richard King :)
Unfortunately his signature has not made me a better machine rebuilder :)
Janderso was one of my A+ students in a Vacaville CA class. He surprised me as he was a F student at first...lol...then all of a sudden his light bulb went on and he "got it" He scraped a big angle block.... I remember my A+ students :)

Janderso was one of my A+ students in a Vacaville CA class. He surprised me as he was a F student at first...lol...then all of a sudden his light bulb went on and he "got it" He scraped a big angle block.... I remember my A+ students :)
@Janderso was my inspiration for building the diamond lapper in the above picture.

@Richard King 2
Thank you for your time and advise. My grandfather was a machinist during WWII in Fond Du Lac, Wisc for Giddings and Lewis. He and I got along well, although his little shop at the back of the garage was definitely OFF LIMITS for us as kids. He always spoke very highly of hand scraping and those skilled in that art. I would certainly buy you dinner if you were willing to stop in Indiana!! Let me know the best way to contact you privately.

Here are pictures of my scraper and latest pass. I can only work a few hours a day before my shoulders get sore. I'm using a full body technique as I've seen your students do. It is still tiring. Looks like a roll of duct tape has an I.D. of 2.5", so I just used that as a reference for my scraper.

The benchtop surface plate I'm using is a cheap import. I'm hoping to get my 3x4 granite plate calibrated at some point. It sits in the shop office, which is cleaner and has better temperature control.
View attachment 423328View attachment 423329View attachment 423330
Nice job on the lapping machine.
Richard asked us a while back to show our “Glendo Accu-turn” replacements. They were expensive and now out of business?
I enjoyed making mine. I use it for all kinds of stuff. Mine is way more robust than it needs to be but the gear motor was the heart of the project.

Sourcing the slow speed motor on a budget is very difficult. I found mine on Ebay, sold as new, open box. These are >$900 but I paid less than $200 if I recall correctly. A Made in USA Bison motor, I got lucky.

Attachments

• E8CD052E-0C36-49FB-AD26-ABCC73F7DAB2.jpeg
    E8CD052E-0C36-49FB-AD26-ABCC73F7DAB2.jpeg
    268.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 2B8C817C-C015-47BF-9B98-242751369355.jpeg
    2B8C817C-C015-47BF-9B98-242751369355.jpeg
    527.6 KB · Views: 14
That looks good on the blade radius. Hold the scraper up + in back or stand on a riser block so your handle is about 20 degrees to the table. You will get a smaller or thinner cut the higher the back is, wider the lower the back is. It looks like who ever milled the SE they head was crooked or not swept in. It happens as one of my famous students forget to sweep his mill head in and made the middle low. (Keith Rucker) Once you get one side touching all the way along the edge you can stop scraping that side and only scrape the other side and tip scrape in the SE. A trick to the trade. Less scraping mean not so sore arms....lol...you also need to buy or make a pad on the wood handle end. Many buy a rubber sanding disk and screw it to the end. Others turn a round wood handle. I'll look for a picture. Pic L to R - 1) A student who took a class in Easton MD showing an adjustable or telescopic plastic tube handle witha rubber pad on the end. He mounted a Sanvik hanle into the other end. 2) a MIT Boston class member bump scraping with his hand on a rubber pad, he is using a magnifier light to see better 3) MIT class again student is using his upper body to body scrape his practice piece. All were using carbide blades.

Attachments

• 20161008_135502 (1).jpg
    20161008_135502 (1).jpg
    359.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 20160823_094709 (4).jpg
    20160823_094709 (4).jpg
    516.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 20160823_094721_001 (1).jpg
    20160823_094721_001 (1).jpg
    536.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Scroll to minute 5:15 and see how to bump scrape. I never knew he was going to post it on You Tube and I was being silly in the beginning. LOL...

Thanks Richard. The light went on for me when I was chasing my tail with that 12” angle plate.
I don’t know if I am describing this correctly, but you have to bring the high points down to equal the low points. In other words, you won’t make any progress until your low points are the high points, then you can begin to make a flat surface.

I’m sure Richard can clarify my point.

I’m still very proud of my first scraping project (before I tackled the 12” plate)

Attachments

• 0EE687AD-BFB1-48A8-8313-C0DB75E688C9.jpeg
    0EE687AD-BFB1-48A8-8313-C0DB75E688C9.jpeg
    608.2 KB · Views: 13
  • A7CCC9AE-EDEA-460E-BE48-F1DF03E1A74C.jpeg
    A7CCC9AE-EDEA-460E-BE48-F1DF03E1A74C.jpeg
    584.7 KB · Views: 13
Sounds and looks good. I need to have breakfast.... Janderso ---I prefer to have my students teach...:) Thank You for showing your work. !!

Did I sell it to you? I sell them on eBay, I also sell my DVD /HSB stick on how to scrape and my classes.
I was actually looking at purchasing the "Machine Tool Reconditioning" book on Ebay. Went back and looked and it was from you.

Small world.

Back