Scraper Score?

SuKi

Registered
Registered
So I let a medium sized knee mill get through my grasp a year or so ago, I just didn't have the money at the time. So now I'm planning on following the David Gingery series and creating my own tools. These will defiantly be for the small projects and hopefully will help in attaining all of the basic layout and machining basic skills i'll need when I do come across one of those inevitable ad long awaited situations when I do get the opportunity to buy some old iron.
Because of this I've been trying to learn to scrape. With any new casting or old mating parts, I know that this skill will be invaluable. i've yet to get a surface plate, trying to find one used for a decent price, but have most other tools. I came across this set this morning and was wondering if I'll be able to use them to scrape. You can see the price tag says 19.50, but I was able to get them for 15.00. I'm not sure what metal, and the set Is incomplete. It is missing a triangular scraper but had two of the smallest size. This was seen In pictures on he internet, but not much other information was available. The biggest one is 16 3/4" and the smallest is 10 1/4" tip of tang to tip. The double sided one has a flat side and a rounded side. I couldn't get my camera to focus on the en so I excluded those photos.Will I be able to use them to scrap flat surfaces an was this a good deal? Any thoughts appreciated.

20150405_161252.jpg 20150405_161806.jpg 20150405_161648.jpg 20150405_161549.jpg 20150405_161506.jpg 20150405_161335.jpg

Nice set of unique scrapers you have there. Not sure what applications they are used in. I suspect they are used for scraping bearing journals.

BTW-I have the the same electric stove as you have there!!!...

Unfortunately,those scrapers ARE,as said,for scraping babbit bearings,not for scraping lathe beds flat. There are always lots of those old bearing scrapers floating around,it seems. Not of much use for you. At least you don't have a lot sunk into them.

Back