School is in session

bug_hunter

Registered
Registered
Hey Guys (and Gals),

What are these? The cutters seem to be relatively easily removed from the shaft with e bit of twisting and pulling. I was going to guess a countersink of some type, but I figured I would put on the thick skin, and ask for some schooling.

Thanks a bunch,

Greg

thumbnail_IMG_2055.jpg

I cannot see the cutters well without a side profile, but they appear to be hollow allowing a guide rod if wanted. Yes, but you would think that if they were counter sinks that they would have guide rod that would extend into the original drilled hole. Of course if you just want to make a flat bottom hole the guide rod system would only work while getting started then would have to be removed. There is also a similar tool where the center section that is not cut away is the desired remaining part, a plug of known diameter. Is each center hole of a different diameter?

Countersink and counterbores that twist lock onto the shafts . You don't have the pilots shown . Maybe Aukai can post a pic of his newly acquired sets .

They seem to assemble to cut towards the shaft. Look at the largest one shown on the left side of the photo.

Is each center hole of a different diameter?
The center holes generally conform to the size of the shafts. (I say generally, as I do not believe the set is complete.

Now: WHY reverse. Seems like a bit of a PIA.

It's a very specialized type off tool. Well, at least kinda specialized. It wouldn't be your daily driver, it's for situations where you need to (or are better off to) put a countersink or counterbore on the opposite side of the work. It lets you keep a setup. It lets you work on stuff you couldn't fixture or access with a machine tool otherwise.

They are back spotfacers, used when the back of a hole may not be easily accessable. I have owned and used them for many years.

Got it. Not sure I'll be getting a lot of use out of them, so into the back of the cutter drawer for now.

School is now out. Thanks to all!

Now that is a machinist (even if you were cutting wood). Great job. Even if you could wait until now to ask me to borrow the ones I recently acquired, none of them are as big as 1-inch. :)

Back