SBL Model A some questions

Buy a copy of “how to run a Lathe”by South Bend Lathes.
you can find a reprint cheap, or maybe read it online.
but buy the hard copy.
I have always used the piston QCTP, the lathes I used when I did this for a living all seemed to be equipped with that style.
so when I bought one for my SB9, I bought the piston style in AXA, either wedge or piston will work fine for you.
i still use the lantern style when doing small threading or using my scissors knurler.

Buy a copy of “how to run a Lathe”by South Bend Lathes.

That is dull reading, but a VERY good jumping off point. I highly second that recommendation.

i still use the lantern style when doing small threading or using my scissors knurler.

Can you still get a scissor knurling tool for a rocker that size? I've looked off and on, but came up with just about nothing.

Yes, the mounting shaft is 5/8“ high X 3/8” wide.
I’ve also used it in my AXA toolholders.

Attachments

• A87C5701-4FF5-4D71-8BDA-2063B7401372.jpeg
    A87C5701-4FF5-4D71-8BDA-2063B7401372.jpeg
    426.6 KB · Views: 15
No worries, my version of hot-rodding usually entails buying and installing really cool accessories, not altering the basic operation in any way.

Today the lathe was partially disassembled: head and tail stocks, apron removed, carriage removed. Was careful to take photos and bag/ID all fasteners and gears. All went well despite reservations. Watched some online videos and also have a copy of A Guide to Renovating the South Bend Lathe. I brought home everything but the ways/frame and the cabinet w/motor. Need some additional help and my trailer for those. Everything internally looked very good, but all needs a kerosene scrub. I don't know what the QC gearbox internals look like yet, fingers crossed.

This lathe comes with the steady rest and the collets-drawbar setup for the headstock - although the collet headstock adapter may not be present.

I realize that it's sacrilegious, but I'm fabbing a rolling platform for this lathe. It needs to be mobile for the near term.

XRF - I work in the minerals process development field, and XRF and XRD are prominent analytical/characterization tools.

Thanks again all for the help.

Make a nice sturdy base to set everything on. There will be no problem as long as you don’t twist it. Twist is way worse than not being level to the earth. Once it is mounted without twist and set up for it to cut true. You could machine with it upside down. Sturdy stable cabinet to rolling base you are good to go with this size lathe.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Can anyone give a reasonable guess of the weight of the cabinet minus motor? I've read up to 350 lbs - that seems crazy high.

Thanks.

I moved a 13" by myself, i had help loading it into the car, the worst but was the bed, i could just about lift one end, move it a few feet then put it down again, it took two days to move it from the front door - through the house to the workshop, a couple of feet at a time, on skids on the floor, it was fully disassembled to move and the bed was the worst part.

Today I removed the motor and the countershaft assembly. That was a bit of work (the motor mount must be removed to allow extraction of the countershaft assembly from the cabinet), and removed the QC gear assembly from the ways/frame. The latter (4.5') is still too heavy to move without assistance. Will have to use the trailer.

In the meantime, making a castered cart to receive the cabinet, and a spreader bar to lift the cabinet from my trailer. This all has turned into a project in its own right. Still need to kerosene-clean all parts, lube and re-assemble. What fun!

Back