SBL Model A some questions

MrEarl

Registered
Registered
Hello, this is my 1st post on this site, hoping for some help on my new-to-me SBL Model 9A. It's in very good to excellent condition from what I can tell (haven't brought it home yet). For some background, I am a hobbyist with virtually no experience with machine tools. Here are a few of my questions:

- The serial number ends in an X, which South Bend says means that the spindle and swing type is "Special". Not sure how to interpret that.
- I have to move this lathe to my house. Can I sling up the lathe, separated from the cabinet (it's and under drive type), just in front of the headstock? Maybe balance the load by moving the carriage and tail stock?
- The motor is single phase, so must have been swapped in at some point. Are there significant benefits to replacing it with a 3-phase motor and phase converter?
- It has the lantern-type tool holder. I have the wants for a quick-change holder but since I'm a novice I'm guessing that's premature? I've found wedge-type and piston-type QC holders, what do these terms mean?

Thanks for any info.

I have a SB 9A (and a 9C with underneath drive). I am also 7 hours ahead of you in UK, and not supposed to be up at this hour, so I can't really give a great answer right now, but I will come back to it.

We have a lot of stuff on the site about South Bend serial numbers and dates, which I can get to later
Move it by "divide and conquer". Do not be afraid to unbolt the tailstock, and headstock, and motor assembly, all into separate pieces. The headstock weighs around 40 pounds. It makes a difference when you are trying to pick it up. I even took off the carriage cross slide, and found I could heft the lathe bed as a separate item. You can put a sling under the bed at each end, or sling the entire stand with it on, but don't hang a sling under the spindle with a chuck on.

The motors always were single phase. Yes indeed, fit a modern 3-phase, and add a VFD, which is way more useful than a phase converter. Originally, SB 9's came with 1/3HP and 1/2 HP motors. The SB-9As came with 1/2HP, but it's OK to put in more power up to about 1HP. A modern motor is often lighter and smaller.

Explanations about quick change tool posts type are on this site, and can be found in YouTube videos search. You will want to change the lantern type. There are definite sizes to get the height right so the tool-holder can always get to the axis, and the other variable is the size of the space in the tool-holder. Mine can take up to 16mm. Piston type and wedge type are two of the popular designs. There are others. Mine is called "Dixon type".

OK - that's it for me for the present. I'll be back when the planet has turned a bit. :)

I second taking it apart for ease of transport. Especially if it is only you. I was able to move my SB9A non under drive by my self in that manner. Also you will be able to give it a good look see and cleaning.

Changing to a quick change is a definite upgrade. That though is a pretty personal choice on what type. I really recommend you spend some time researching that. If you opt for the standard type wedge you will want the AXA for this size lathe.

Great lathes by the way.

Welcome to the Forum.

Cutting oil is my blood.

If you sling it off the stand be sure to sling under the lead screw. When I had my 9A and had to move it I would just use a sling close to the headstock and move the tailstock to balance it out--easy.

Edit: Now that I thought about it (been a few years) I think I just used a block of wood to keep the sling off the leadscew.

If you sling it off the stand be sure to sling under the lead screw. When I had my 9A and had to move it I would just use a sling close to the headstock and move the tailstock to balance it out--easy.

Edit: Now that I thought about it (been a few years) I think I just used a block of wood to keep the sling off the leadscew.
Definitely @MrEarl should NOT allow a sling to press on the lead screw! It was remiss of me not to put that right up front as the point to open with. Thanks for picking up on it.

[ I can only plead "wee small hours dysfunction" :( ]

- The serial number ends in an X, which South Bend says means that the spindle and swing type is "Special". Not sure how to interpret that.
The "X" means that something was special about the lathe build and not just the spindle (on your lathe I haven't heard of a special spindle). The swing didn't change.

- I have to move this lathe to my house. Can I sling up the lathe, separated from the cabinet (it's and under drive type), just in front of the headstock? Maybe balance the load by moving the carriage and tail stock?
As has been suggested, break the lathe down into manageable pieces, especially if you are going to be moving it by yourself. The lathe will come apart easily. If you use a sling, do NOT sling around the bed. Put your slings BETWEEN the webs of the bed. Do NOT put any pressure on the leadscrew, because it will bend relatively easy, which means you will then have a BIG problem trying to source, repair or replace what you have damaged.

- The motor is single phase, so must have been swapped in at some point. Are there significant benefits to replacing it with a 3-phase motor and phase converter?
Motors were selected at the build. A single phase motor install was not unusual.

- It has the lantern-type tool holder. I have the wants for a quick-change holder but since I'm a novice I'm guessing that's premature? I've found wedge-type and piston-type QC holders, what do these terms mean?
Having a QCTP is very convenient. Once you make the change to a QCTP, you'll throw the lantern into a drawer and probably never use it again. A wedge type post is superior to a piston type and is more available today. Import holders are fairly cheap, so there is no reason to not have many!

I am using a DC motor out of a treadmill with a pulse width / rectifier power supply.
Works great

Hello, this is my 1st post on this site, hoping for some help on my new-to-me SBL Model 9A. It's in very good to excellent condition from what I can tell (haven't brought it home yet). For some background, I am a hobbyist with virtually no experience with machine tools. Here are a few of my questions:

That should oughtta be a good machine for you. I've got the rear drive model on a bench. It's a very simple, yet functional, and very user friendly machine.

You'll have to sort that out. It's probably not anything huge, it just means that "something" was non standard. I know some internet charts say that it's something special about the spindle, but my belief is that it's not limited to that, it just means that "something" about the lathe is not standard.

You can. Best is to go between the bed rails and lift by the webs inside there. Also best if there's another person who can steady the lathe. Not sure exactly what you plan to use to lift your slung lathe, but any way you sling it, it's prone to being unsteady. Not like "trying to shift", but more that it just likes someone to have a hand on it. Not carrying it, or splitting the weight or anything like that, just steadying it.

Loads of them shipped that way. Couldda been a quarter or a half horse motor in 110 volts, or depending on when it was made, it could have been standard OR optional to ship it with no motor at all. Or they had 220 volt versions. I'm not really sure when (or if) these ever shipped in three phase. I'm sure they did at some point, but I think the design predates the availibity of three phase in any degree where it would have been called a standard in an industrial setting. That came later on in terms of production of these lathes.

The big reason people do three phase conversions and phase converters is that they get electronic phase converters that also give some speed control to the motor. Of course that is quite nice. Your 9A is not difficult to change speeds at all (although you still have to do it), so I don't really see the cost or effort of such a modification returning a huge benefit. It's also a very small motor in industrial terms, so you probably aren't gonna have much if any returns based on motor efficiency, and given that you're (I'm assuming) going to run the phase converter on 120 volts, that might even go backwards. Run it. See what you've got. Right now, it plugs into a regular wall outlet.

Another note about motors here, the lathe uses plain spindle bearings. You really don't want to push the RPMs any further than what the factory gave you for that reason. Yes, you can, and in short bursts, they survive it quite well, but trying to dial the lathe up to modern "carbide" speeds and feeds numbers, that's just not a good plan. And as far as horsepower? I still use a leather flat belt to drive the spindle, it slips easy, WAY before the motor stalls in all but one gear setting, and my motor is one half horsepower, not much, but the biggest they offered. This will visibly deflect and displace parts of that lathe which just shouldn't move when things don't go will. I'm going to highly and strongly recommend that you learn the lathe first, before you hot rod the motor and belts. You'll find that a belt which slips all the time and a motor which isn't strong enough might not actually be a belt or motor problem. It might actually just be a couple too few degrees of rake on the cutting tool, or a couple too many thousandths per rev on the feed rate. Or you're trying to cut something with a poorly selected insert that's plowing metal instead of cutting it.

- It has the lantern-type tool holder. I have the wants for a quick-change holder but since I'm a novice I'm guessing that's premature?

I'm gonna disagree with the forum as a whole here. Well, a little bit maybe. Mine came with the rocker/lantern tool post. I use that for most of what I do. It does not come with pre-ground inserts or repeatable geometry, and it's kind of fiddly the first few times you set it up. But it works exceptionally well at two things- It will do a lot, but it's a skill It gets you a skill that you need either way.... Nobody's born with it. It'll be a learning curve. It'll teach you about tool geometry, cutting forces, and general good practice as far as making tools that cut well and finish well, versus brute force forcing the lathe to take on stuff it doesn't want to. It won't be an overnight thing.... But it'll make you better at using the lathe and better at using the quick change tool post if/when you decide to go that route. With or without the quick change tool post, one thing to understand is that until you learn to visualize and understand what's actually happening in the cut... You're gonna be frustrated with the results you're getting. You need that in order to adjust, and make changes to get the results that you're looking for. That will go with ANY way you choose to anchor the cutting tool to the lathe. Being able to determine, select, make, or otherwise have just the right cutting tool, when you figure out what is a good, free cutting tool for the material you're cutting, the size of the cut you're taking... Tool forces go down, belt slips are all but eliminated, horsepower rarely comes into play, chips get managable, strings become less and less common, tool deflection (and whole lathe deflection) get too be way less, so hitting final diameters starts to fall into place a lot easier. How "slow" is the rocker/lantern post? Well, it's not "quick" as a quich change, but realistically you just put the holder in, put the cutting tip where you want it, and snug one bolt. It's not that quick, but it's not that slow.

That said, I did make a tool post and holders (on the lathe, using my rocker post :cool: ) that will support tools truly horizontally, and adjust the tool height fully parallel so that I could get into some things that just didn't exist, and this little lathe was NEVER meant to cut. There's a lot of materials available to me that are induction hardened (case hardened), and that makes the work piece tougher than high speed steel. So while I strongly suggest that the rocker post is a lot more useful than it's given credit for, (and with some practice, isn't really all that "not quick"), and does everything the lathe was ever built to do, I will say that the lathe was built before a lot of modern alloys and materials ever came into being. Including insert carbide tooling. So I'm sure you'll want something eventually. And I will also throw in another qualifier- Quick change tool posts cost real money. Far from the most expensive upgrade, you'll have way MORE expensive wants as time goes on, but if you throw money at every annoyance you find while you're at the beginning of a long learning curve... It'll eat you out of house and home, and you'll learn to hate the thing because every time you want to do something to do with it, you're gonna have to wait for the internet to ship you something... Which leads to my point- If your lathe does NOT come with a couple (or more) tool holders for the rocker tool post that's on it- Well, now you're back to real money, and that might change my approach some.... For as much as I value the education that comes from the rocker post, I'm not going to go so far as to say that you should tool up the lathe twice....

I've found wedge-type and piston-type QC holders, what do these terms mean?

Thanks for any info.

Those are how the tool holders lock in place when you "clip" them onto the tool post. Those terms are based on one type (the most popular type I believe) of tool post. The wedge type uses a sliding dovetail, so the dovetail expands to lock the holder to the post. The piston type does this by pushing outward on the holder (with a piston), thus making the dovetail tighten up that way. By nearly any metric, the wedge type is the more technically correct way to do such things, more repeatable, more rigid, and all that. In practice, on a small lathe, it's splitting hairs rather finely, and most hobbyists aren't really gonna see much if any difference. Especially on a smaller lathe. Larger lathes, I'm sure the difference becomes more tangible. So then cost comes into play too. What are YOU going to get from the difference? That doesn't devalue the value of learning about the tools, cutting geometry, feeds, and speeds, But you can grind high speed steel for a quick change tool post too. I still say that learning to do this makes you better, EVEN IF you're going to settle on nothing but insert tooling in the future.

If you can swing it, I'd probably look first at the wedge type. But if cost is an issue (none of my business....), I wouldn't think you should feel slighted by the piston type. It'll won't technically be as rigid as the wedge, but it WILL be as rigid as the rest of your lathe. So what do you get out of the wedge? Well, probably something, but if the piston type is as rigid as the rest of the lathe, are you really loosing? Either way, look at the cost of the individual tool holders to go with the post you pick. The more basic they are, the easier they are to come by (or make, eventually), and you will want plenty of 'em. The initial investment will be a fraction of what you have into it by the time you're have most of what you need. (And don't worry, you'll NEVER run out of what you "want"...).

I guess what I'm saying is that your new lathe is a tool. It doesn't "spit out parts", it's the tool that YOU use to make parts. Like a hammer. If you nail two boards together, and you keep getting rose pedals all around the nail, it's not any inadequacy in the hammer, nor will a new hammer fix the problem in any way. Once you're proficient with the hammer, there are loads of upgrades, different styles, different weights, and ways to make you more efficient at some particular job, but none of them will help if you're not hitting on the mark every time. Or the guy two towns north of me who used to use a chain saw to carve bears out of old tree stumps. My chain saw won't do that. If I bought the side cutting carving chain, that's still not gonna fix the problem... It'll let me grind sideways with a chainsaw, sure, but that is not the problem.... So as a general, top down overview type opinion, I think that bringing the lathe home FIRST, and USING the lathe, getting some practice in, making it work as it should, AS IS, is by far the best approach. If you can't make it work well (and it will work well), you really have no idea what needs upgrading, or what upgrades will benefit you.

Wow, thanks everyone for all these very informative and helpful replies. I will take the suggestion to partially disassemble the machine so that I can move it (mostly) by myself. So, off to find out how to remove the big bits.

My minimal research was in error, as I thought I'd seen mention of 3-phase motors on the A's. Glad the 110VAC PH1 motor will suffice for a while. It looks original, a 1/2-hp Westinghouse. Seems to run well. The treadmill motor idea sounds interesting...

I am guilty (serial offender) of coming out of the gate with a new toy and wanting to hot-rod it. Restraint seems prudent here, given my almost complete ignorance of machining, lathe or otherwise. This A does have a small selection of tool holders for the lantern unit and some bits(?) so I will try and learn before accessorizing.

An aside: Graham, does xrf mean x-ray fluorescence?

Thanks again, everyone, I'm sure I'll be back with more rookie inquires!

I am guilty (serial offender) of coming out of the gate with a new toy and wanting to hot-rod it.
Dont! Don't! Don't !!! (Jump in and "hot rod" it).
It's a real piece of precision iron. It can do great stuff, but it can also badly hurt you. Yes - take it apart, but do it with love and care. The chunks may be heavy, but precision surfaces do not like to get dinged, and heavy stuff gets dinged harder when it bumps something. Go slow enough to discover everything about it.

Get a copy of "A Guide to Renovating the South Bend Lathe etc." Even if it does not need such attention, it shows you how to get into everywhere.
An aside: Graham, does xrf mean x-ray fluorescence?
It did not mean that originally, but now, by pure coincidence, it might as well. It came from when I "retired" from a career in RF satellite communications, it becoming my "ex" activity.

But then, I started a thread about an x-ray fluorescence project that I hope to get back to shortly that took on an infamous life.
--> "Needing more than a spark test"
As the thread ran on, I was astonished at the depth of knowledge in this forum - about nuclear physics, of all things. From them, I learned pretty much all I know about these quantum phenomena. I have bought the parts, and got together the electronics, and I am putting together a budget xrf project. I have to defer to mark @homebrewed , who has gone some way ahead of me in the same game.

I don't expect any HM member finding the thread for the first time to trawl the whole thing, looking at our self-education, and development of a design, but now, the "xrf" probably will always be associated with this. :)

Back