Saving a Logan 825

The headstock is looking great! Very nicely done.
I say put in a ball oiler if you like: my Model 200 has one in that position. I seem to remember that Logan stopped putting them
in some locations on later models.

I can't see anything that it will hurt. You will need to match-drill a small hole through the new bushing after installing it. Which means that if you ever again replace the bushing, you will have to extract the ball oiler to drill that hole again. And de-burr it again.

There is actually a cavity between the two bushings where the handwheel goes, which is where I marked on the apron for adding an oiler. So no need to modify the bushings or remove the oiler to replace the bushings. I haven't done anything yet. Just thinking about it.

I cleaned up the chuck that came with the Logan today. It's in pretty bad shape, but it was so covered in gunk that I had hopes for it being nice underneath. There's actually a Buck chuck underneath that mess. The jaws are bell shaped and the scroll is pretty well worn out. Oh well. It's clean now. Of course the hammer and chisel man had a go at the chuck as well.

IpnAjdpEmdOwK58ShBcnttfGL2dzWjLymG9RK7erV3lChVD0dIb3OWZMJirTtbegGMvH9gKn-1jXLF22rUGtcjIi73GAlxLbyVhLFejsmwMaeiWl90u85Z9KdhLis8BDTwKg3ja8zzc=w2400

pRcutMLKSyfcUR-AWJ1mrjxGs1GskOr0hGaiBxiCRDOYy4M5XpCCsgbAcmTq1n04soBMEEFvCer7ptslWlYXGAugj2HE8xJFrBmaAaVyQ2G8-3DE97ppkvcnRW8dlISRjjvui6frOjE=w2400

-x9YDSI9wuIgG94ulkh1m8IuyZucafwyC90s3mIMlUEGkbfsxNZZ5-pVq1c9fxLoBisV5zGMR2yLrdyf9Sxrv2EmXSKAHQ2ipnGWd09vD9IWQArQkljKfjeEA63uf9H-rf6o_Skz3Jg=w2400

New bushings arrived, so that meant I had to get my act together and reassemble the apron. First, here's the cavity between the two bushings on the traverse handwheel. I did add a ball oiler. These are the original bushings.

AyGHpB8pviNtNzpszQgczQiqGZ4oyhlOW_QSMvdZ_tT4uNeJMxOEIbTqghMxIOlK0QBh-RYHnWutu3SSoWnf--ZUnuGYpUY8Ty2-N9uBJfT-XRiW95w89xgbs4K8p0hfJ3ztcBo7BSg=w2400

Once castings were painted and all of the gears cleaned, I replaced the bronze bushings and worked on reassembly. Every threaded hole got cleaned out with a tap and then brake cleaner. Before the new fastener went in I put in a couple of drops of oil. I'm learning that there is a good chance the next person to take this apart will be me. The last picture shows the oiler I added. Hopefully this reduces the wear on the most frequently used shaft. I need to pick up a few more bolts tomorrow and then seal the two halves together with some RTV.
CMBE2XMvxYJCTx5AQoRRo8xt1Vnx7vyUcDcFaWUeFvccBbDOQRbfZS9Zh2Q0B2eGt0rnoh3GipzWCGo33XoPiLGGhx6LNlVB6ES0Z1qyEnWrOtqVS6wGRZLszFQebu99qXTR86Lt8uc=w2400

1XGQE8Jcxfn4HFdFfQrpFVmSKq9yNnvF0A0xqRChLiKs_uhc5Jkyx7Z9zzMlmSrolA4UezOD-1BsFhCYUcUV-yWY9J2aaOHDJtWZXaW-aD_DRXuZizD08FGUcCUUf-0Tm8sgOldU0C4=w2400

QpoOYSzfrQz5jpqo6lPBHy8K8OHhLV8ViA8i-AH6h61NThgv452m9fyR4V9IGdXFmqUzxIl4scEMLZj-1IWvLzD3u7x563RgIOSmJimtvmhlmEWwyQ0iOocsfWmEClH_YlboJgbNc7c=w2400

Looks good. I'd bet that if you managed to acquire the current Apron machining drawing that you would find a revision note showing either a general note saying something like "redrawn to match XYZ standards" or a note showing when the hole for the oiler was removed. :cool:

Do you by any chance remember approximate dimensions of the LA-519 spring that goes under the LA-524 clutch retainer?
View attachment 323024

Interesting. My feed clutch uses 2 small springs rather than one larger one. See the diagram below.
xm5r1PuJ2sOIGruQ18wXbD8RFZmwcVLjpehbgZzBtwp3yioSXaQB2qv8dFDhJfXoOVO56Cb9hri_hJaYWzzUk72Qq9EA8XEt2knefuS5HsVLRkR_av315NxxYsUM9XtF_7MZmFyTEpY=w2400

The dimensions of the 2 small springs are 0.305" long x 0.112" diameter with .02 wire. It's really difficult to measure the spring rate of these tiny springs, so I'm just going to try out a couple of different options when they arrive.

Sorry for the lack of lathe updates. I've been swamped with work and now the birth of my second son. It will be a little bit before I get back to this project, but rest assured that I will finish it.

Interesting. My feed clutch uses 2 small springs rather than one larger one. See the diagram below.
xm5r1PuJ2sOIGruQ18wXbD8RFZmwcVLjpehbgZzBtwp3yioSXaQB2qv8dFDhJfXoOVO56Cb9hri_hJaYWzzUk72Qq9EA8XEt2knefuS5HsVLRkR_av315NxxYsUM9XtF_7MZmFyTEpY=w2400

The dimensions of the 2 small springs are 0.305" long x 0.112" diameter with .02 wire. It's really difficult to measure the spring rate of these tiny springs, so I'm just going to try out a couple of different options when they arrive.

Sorry for the lack of lathe updates. I've been swamped with work and now the birth of my second son. It will be a little bit before I get back to this project, but rest assured that I will finish it.
Yea there are two different setups and ours are examples of the difference.
Thanks for the reply.

I'm still looking for any information on the banjo support (LA-510-A) if anyone has a photo or basic dimensions. I know the bolt through the slot is 7/16-14, but not sure on the length of the slot or the location of the pin that goes into the banjo.
xFFsepDEmDYj_01Z-aFVehixMerSL1g4t1AjOG-l0hCXjJ4t-pHl-LIoYToMaBZX7MIhZB0K5-2i0DxAf0jjAKNyLIbNUxnYBXLFhGeMuji20RXONFSwyAD2jl9NYBcaziNyQKadbqA=w2400
I'm also missing that bracket and according to this (https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/logan-820-stop-bracket-function-373139/) it looks like you may not necessarily need it see last entry 01272020 0645..

I'm also missing that bracket and according to this (https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/logan-820-stop-bracket-function-373139/) it looks like you may not necessarily need it see last entry 01272020 0645..

Thanks for posting. I did come across that thread on PM while looking for more information about the bracket. While it may not be entirely necessary, I think Logan added it for a reason and I'd like to make something to replace it. The last thing I want is for the banjo to slip down and break a tooth on one of the gears. Since I have the QCGB, once this is installed, the banjo will rarely need to be moved, and might as well be locked in place with it.

Have you been able to find any dimensions for it? I've got some 1" x 1/2" flat stock that I think will work, but would prefer to have some dimensions for the length of the slot and location of the pin.

Back