Sanity check used colchester 1236 variable drive problem

visenfile

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Noob here who said he would not try to repair due to lack of knowledge. Being teased by craigslist ad for Colchester , 1970 vintage with "vairable drive problem." Pictures are fuzzy, but looks like metal label says "600" or "800." Should it be pursued for $800? Tooling not shown in ad. Thanks

I have a feeling Alloy off here checked it out and said that both the lathes they had showed a lot of issues (variable drives especially are hard to fix) and to top it off were mucking him around on the price. I'd avoid like the plague.

Have you been to Milwaukee to look at the lathe yet?

It's at a high school shop. Both lathes are pretty beat. I went to look at the Clausing and I told them I'd take it for the $800. Well............somehow they listed the Clausing for $800 and it was supposed to be $1500. I took off work and drove 50 miles to go see it. I was going to take a chance on it for $800, but in hind site I'm glad I didn't get it.

They said I could have the Colchester for $800 and I said I'd pass.

I just want you to know this before you waste you time going down there.

Thanks for the support, guys. At least I know I don't know. Although tempted by the used American stuff it always seems to be stripped of tooling. This has a tendency to drive me to the asian stuff (with the known risks there).

I bought the colchester vs12 and picked it up today. other than being dirty and suffering from lack of service it cleaned up easy .
No tooling other than a d3 6" 3 jaw and a taper attachment missing parts. I think the chuck would be gone also but its really stuck.
I havent powered it up yet but am crossing my finger its all ok.

Congrats on the Colchester.

Can we have some pictures or a model name?

I can't see a 1236 or vs12 on lathes.co.uk

If it has a variator drive, I might be able to help.

Cheers
Erik

Back