Sanding block question

Another fan of gluing sandpaper to blocks here. Also a fan of 3M sandpaper but I have have used Sungold a little and it seems good. Another of my bad habits is building RC airplanes and I’ve taught basic gunsmithing at a continuing education college. I’ve used Permagrit but wouldn’t use it on metal, especially not on firearms. I’m also a big believer in starting with a very coarse grit and working through to the desired finish. Don’t skip grits.

As far as sandpaper, I can only speak from experience but I work at a shop that also has a body shop. They don’t use the most expensive 3M sandpaper but what they use is night and day compared to what you can buy at the box stores. They mostly use a brand called sungold abrasives I believe is the name. I have had good luck with any of the name brands like 3M, Mirka, even the sungold off of Amazon is not bad stuff
There was a discounter at the woodworking show, he had sungold... tons of it. I just didn't need more sandpaper. I have rolls and rolls of AlOx abrasive (cloth backed) and tons of Mirka, Norton 3x, 3m, and others. Good to know tho... If I ever have a second life and need paper.

as a side note: I actually don't use my paper backed sandpaper as much anymore. I use it for shapes, but even for my 1/4 sheet sander I cut to size punch holes in the cloth backed. It always ****** me off that the paper would rip at the edge and start causing issues with the wood. The cloth doesn't do that, and it lasts way longer. It also leaves a nicer finish as it cut aggressively on coarse and removes any sign of a joint. Where the paper doesn't do so well. I finish with hand sanding to remove the fine swirls.

Last edited:
There was a discounter at the woodworking show, he had sungold... tons of it. I just didn't need more sandpaper. I have rolls and rolls of AlOx abrasive (cloth backed) and tons of Mirka, Norton 3x, 3m, and others. Good to know tho... If I ever have a second life and need paper.

as a side note: I actually don't use my paper backed sandpaper as much anymore. I use it for shapes, but even for my 1/4 sheet sander I cut to size punch holes in the cloth backed. It always ****** me off that the paper would rip at the edge and start causing issues with the wood. The cloth doesn't do that, and it lasts way longer. It also leaves a nicer finish as it cut aggressively on coarse and removes any sign of a joint. Wear the paper doesn't do so well. I finish with hand sanding to remove the fine swirls.
Sounds like you’re no stranger to the good stuff. It blows my mind how the box stores can even sell **** like they sell. You can literally go through an entire pack of Chinese paper to 1 little scrap of the good stuff

Another fan of gluing sandpaper to blocks here. Also a fan of 3M sandpaper but I have have used Sungold a little and it seems good. Another of my bad habits is building RC airplanes and I’ve taught basic gunsmithing at a continuing education college. I’ve used Permagrit but wouldn’t use it on metal, especially not on firearms. I’m also a big believer in starting with a very coarse grit and working through to the desired finish. Don’t skip grits.

If building RC airplanes is a bad habit, I wonder what our really bad habits are……

Back