Safety First? (sort of)!

graham-xrf

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
It might have gone in the "Safety Issues and Equipment" section, but I decided to put it here.
There is nothing safe about most of this.
@homebrewed could tell you why.
@RJSakowski could tell us the better way.
My kids have grown up, so I might be past caring!

Safety-First.png

I don’t know… seems like you are also missing the beer in your hand with a motion of handing it over to someone else while saying: “Here. Hold my beer while I do this…”

I want to add years to my life… and not find ways to shorten it!!:D

What the heck are you doing man!!!???

Kids or no, it still hurts like hell when impacted there.

Kids or no, it still hurts like hell when impacted there.
Well... that is the thing... there is no physical object impacting there... he is just going to bombard the heck out of a part with x-rays...

I don’t know… seems like you are also missing the beer in your hand with a motion of handing it over to someone else while saying: “Here. Hold my beer while I do this…”

I want to add years to my life… and not find ways to shorten it!!:D

What the heck are you doing man!!!???
OMG! I should have taken more care in the context. The dude is not me!
Hey - just check out the fit-looking legs! I wish! :crushed:

So what's the problem besides exposed High Voltage cables laying on the floor, unshielded X-ray tubes, unisolated filament supplies, lead sheet on one's nads, a camera in harm's reach and a can of his favorite beverage on a wooden table? Like doesn't everyone do this? :face slap:

Hope you all know I'm joking. Not the safest set up!

Well... that is the thing... there is no physical object impacting there... he is just going to bombard the heck out of a part with x-rays...
Nah - that's small beer. I be using Gamma Rays!
(OK then, just little ones from smoke detectors and gas mantles..) :)

So what's the problem besides exposed High Voltage cables laying on the floor, unshielded X-ray tubes, unisolated filament supplies, lead sheet on one's nads, a camera in harm's reach and a can of his favorite beverage on a wooden table? Like doesn't everyone do this? :face slap:

Hope you all know I'm joking. Not the safest set up!
I have to admit that, (going back many years now), I have messed with a real hospital X-Ray machine, after about 5 minutes driving instructions.
I used the lowest kV setting, and they gave me a seriously heavy white plastic double-wall apron.
I used 1mm of copper sheet,150mm square, to filter down the strength of them, before they got to the image intensifier.
BUT..
The only way I could get at the focus kit I was checking out, I had to sit on the patient table, with the beam going just past my thigh, into the sheet of copper. Also, all other folk just left me alone in there. I believe I was safe. I had done the calculations. Nobody believed me!

Last edited:
I have to admit that, (going back a many years now), I have messed with a real hospital X-Ray machine, after about 5 minutes driving instructions.
I used the lowest kV setting, and they gave me a seriously heavy white plastic double-wall apron.
I used 1mm of copper sheet,150mm square, to filter down the strength of them, before they got to the image intensifier.
BUT..
The only way I could get at the focus kit I was checking out, I had to sit on the patient table, with the beam going just past my thigh, into the sheet of copper. Also, all other folk just left me alone in there. I believe I was safe. I had done the calculations. Nobody believed me!
Have to say, hospital personnel do get trained on radiation safety, and they err on the side of caution.

It's the engineers and scientists among us that do the calculations and say to themselves that "I trust my calculations, so I can do this". Done some high voltage stuff long ago, involving energy storage capacitors. Once you get to the point when there's enough energy stored to kill a human a thousand times over, you'd better rethink your "perfect" plan quite a few times, before actually executing it. No re-do's on systems like that.

Back