RV antifreeze as non-toxic bandsaw blade coolant and opinions for blade brush.

:grin: Really . Have to machine undersize and have it come into tolerance when it hits 70 degrees . Anything under 40 the only tool I use is the woodstove .

I’m talking about cutting steel to length on a metal cutting bandsaw, not machining tight tolerance parts on a lathe or mill!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

years ago, i kept a saw out in the barn. used drained antifreeze from the tractors along with soluble oil for coolant. Worked great, even cut steel below zero.

That sounds similar to what I’m trying to do here, I just don’t like the idea of using regular antifreeze due to its toxicity. Also wondering if I even need the water soluble oil, (or how much, if I do), because the propylene glycol seems pretty slippery anyway. Also did you read the highlighted portion of the manual I included?

I’m talking about cutting steel to length on a metal cutting bandsaw, not machining tight tolerance parts on a lathe or mill!!

I'm still waiting until it warms up!!!

I used to run windshield washer solvent in the saw at former workplace. I think we used regular engine antifreeze one year, til we started using the washer solvent. I would recommend adding oil to it to keep rusting issues down.

Remember, the main use for the coolant (imo) is to keep the blade and cutting material cool, secondly a bit of lubricant for some metals.

We did what the boss would allow. It is not recommended to use washer solvent and mixing oil soluble oils in it, but what it really hurt, was not much. Other than the saw might have got more rusty. Then again, the roof leaking over the saw over the years probably caused more of that.

I'm not sure about the lubricity properties of RV antifreeze. I do know that it gets sticky as it dries. We've used several different brands for over 20 years on our motorhomes and you have to make sure to wash it off your hands or any surface it gets spilled on or it makes a sticky mess when it dries. If it dries on your hands, it gets sticky again every time it gets wet again. A quick rinse with water usually washes it off.

Have you considered soluble oil emulsions like Trim-Sol? It supposedly has a freezing point of -.4*F or -18*C. I use it in my cold saw at about a 10% solution and it works great. The saw is in a heated shop, so it never experiences temperature related issues.

Here's the MSDS sheet:

Attachments

• 67453555-20151218.PDF
    210.3 KB · Views: 42
What would be the advantage of RV antifreeze over regular car antifreeze? Car antifreeze contains a elements to fight corrosion.

What would be the advantage of RV antifreeze over regular car antifreeze? Car antifreeze contains a elements to fight corrosion.
RV antifreeze is potable meaning it can be used in potable or drinking water supplies. It’s non toxic to animals like cats and dogs. Standard auto antifreeze is highly toxic to animals. A teaspoon full can cause kidney failure in dogs

I guess that is a limitation for some. I personally don't allow animals in my shop without shoes. That keeps out most all the dogs and cats and about half the humans.

I don’t like the toxicity. While it might be nice to eliminate the rodent population like mice and chipmunks, I sometimes have my dog in the shop, and don’t want to risk his (or my) health, therefore I’m looking at alternatives. Another benefit is that RV antifreeze is lots cheaper than car antifreeze. $3.98/gallon vs $7.14gallon for 50/50 at Walmart

Last edited:
Back