Rust on lathe

22lr

Registered
Registered
What is the best way to prevent rust on machines in an unheated shop? Thanks

Best way is to use them! Never get a chance to rust that way.

Opinions vary, from WD-40 to Slick-50 to M-1. ATF in a spray bottle if you want to mist the entire thing.

Boeshield. You can find it in marine shops, and online.

Objective testing by one of the woodworking magazines on cast iron machines showed this to be the most effective in preventing rust. It's a mix of waxes in a petro-solvent. YOu can spray it on and leave it; it forms a thin waxy coating when the solvent evaporates. Or you can spray and wipe off excess which makes a very thin coating if the machine will be used within a few days.

Originally invented at Boeing apparently to coat the internal structures of aircraft wings, as I recall.

For parts which are rusted and which need cleanup, try Evaporust - some auto parts stores carry this. Very effective, although u have to submerge-soak the rusty part - can't spray it on.

Bert

Keep it oily and try keeping a 100w bulb on underneath it. I made what looked like a perforated pipe bomb with a 25w bulb in it for my old SB9" that worked like a charm.

Randy

Here in Fl. in the winter it can go down into the teens and back up into the 60's during the day. My lathe in an unheated garage would be covered with heavy condensation each morning. Even covering it with oil didn't help.
But soon as I left a 100 W. bulb on in my work light over night it fixed the problem. Nothing fancy just adjust the light so it was about 12" over the center of the lathe. That's all it took.

Back